First guest today, but haven't received a message from the guest

Jessica2690
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

First guest today, but haven't received a message from the guest

Hello!! I'm new here. I was so excited to welcome my first guest today and I spent the last 2 nights making sure everything is perfect, especially since it's my first time doing this!

Checkin was from 2pm and it's now past 7pm and I can see my message to the guest hasn't even delivered on WhatsApp, plus no reply on the Airbnb platform. Trying not to stress about it, I feel like a worried mom. 😂

I think it's just nerves and my OCD getting to me. Has this happened to anyone?

All the best to any first-time hosts, excited to be part of this community now (my long-time dream). ❤️

Also comment below any advice you have for us newbies!

7 Replies 7

@Jessica2690 Some guests don't understand that an Airbnb isn't like a hotel with a 24-hour check-in desk. I completely stopped using the term "check-in" with guests, because it gives the wrong idea about how it works. Instead, when confirming a booking I would tell them how much notice I needed to schedule their arrival (like an appointment). If they neglect to respond in time, I switch from asking mode to telling mode: "since I didn't get the information I needed to plan for your arrival, the only arrival time window I will be able to accommodate is [last hour of listed check-in window]. "  Your might consider adding a cutoff time to your check-in, if you're not prepared to welcome guests at 3 AM.

The date of guests' arrival is usually the hardest time to reach them, as they're in transit and might not be able to get online. Delays are pretty normal, so I wouldn't assume anything bad happened, but this is a good reason to make sure all the important communication is locked down before the arrival date.

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Jessica2690 

You could  inform the Airbnb Support team to assist you to contact the guest. and remind the guest the check in will be end soon. 

Better yet, acknowledge to the Airbnb and  to avoid any incident of faults claims from the guest. 

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

Also, and whilst I understand the use of whatsapp esp for int'l guests (and all my Saffer rellos use it a lot) try to keep all communication via the message box within airbnb, just in case anything goes wrong. 

great advice from @Anonymous , as always!, the use of the word "check-in" does indeed create the wrong kind of relationship, i'm going to change our language in that regard too. I thought it made things easier to understand but "arrival" is much nicer, and feels more personal anyway (even though I don't interact with half of our guests anyway)

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

What are Saffer rellos?

Hi @Jessica2690, I had a similar experience.  I had my first guest three weeks ago and they didn't arrive until after 11:00 pm.  The same thing occurred with the following 2 guests.  I'm in the Orlando, FL area and I've come to the conclusion that guests plan to enjoy all the attractions first and then come to the property late at night when it's time to sleep.  Don't worry, they're doing fine mama.

@Yulonda2 and Jessica 2690 It is always wise to put a checkin time between early afternoon and  before it gets dark or close to. It is not fair on a host to have to be some type of door clerk for late arrivals . It is important before people arrive to ask for ,and put it in your rules, Time of arrival and to offer, after booking, your mobile number,for guests to report any hold ups and a ten minute heads up . Hotel and caravan park people are often not used to either a host, or considering a hosts feelings especially new users . Some people actually have these rules and will cancel if guests do not communicate . So make sure every one is on the samish page before arrival . good luck H

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jessica2690 

Beautiful listing by the way. I used to live in Cape Town many moons ago (I miss it) so I know your location is also excellent. I am sure you will do very well. 

You have already gotten some sound advice here. I would try texting the guest if the WhatsApp message is not being delivered. Guests often don't have WiFi when travelling. If that fails, call them and, if that fails, contact Airbnb and ask them to try to get hold of the guest.

The main problem here is that you haven't specified when your check in window ends, just that it starts from 2pm. That is going to make guests think they can come at any time from 2pm to midnight or even in the early hours of the morning, which I assume is not what you want! You should definitely specify what time check in ends.

Did you have any communication with the guest prior to this about their ETA? I always ask guests to tell me their time of arrival in advance. Most guests will give me a specific time and then I just ask them to please contact me if they are running late (and provide my number again in case they have missed it on the booking). If they give me a window, e.g. between 4 and 5pm, I usually ask them to let me know when they 10 or 15 minutes away. If they give me a window of more than an hour, then I will ask them to be more specific closer to the time or on the day.

Of course, some guests will not show up at the agreed time and not bother to let you know, but those are now quite rare. Having had this conversation in advance, I find that guests treat the arrival time exactly as @Anonymous puts it, as an 'appointment'.

You don't want to be sitting around waiting for a non-responsive guest for five hours or more. Even if you are going to be home anyway, it's incredibly frustrating because you can't really get on with other things if you think someone might arrive at any minute.