First impressions: how do you welcome your guests?

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

First impressions: how do you welcome your guests?

Screenshot 2021-05-27 at 11.40.48.png

Hi everyone,

First impressions are key, and that is also true for Hosting. Any experienced Host knows check-in is crucial. Everyone has a unique way of approaching it, adding their flair to it, even if that means doing it in a much more "hands-off" way.

Considering the past year, many hosts are thinking about the best way to adapt their routines for our world of safe distances and limited contact. Check-in is a big part of it.

What changes have you made to your check-in routine? 

I am looking forward to hearing your personal tips and experiences. 

Thanks

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

13 Replies 13
Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Nothing really. We leave a personalized note for all guests when they check-in but now we put more bullet points on where to find the most up to date "local" Covid information and if there are any restrictions locally they need to be aware of.

We do not bother our guests on the day of arrival. They have a code for the guesthouse so we send an email the following morning just to make sure everything is good and they are satisfied with the space. 

Ann783
Level 10
New York, NY

21305DAE-8BF8-495E-A400-C6435A0CA9BA.jpeg

 We are offsite hosts but like to leave a personalized sign to welcome guests.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Honestly, the last year has changed nothing for me. Everything is exactly the same. I've always been 100% self-check-in and can't imagine it any other way. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Emilia42 

Hello

Congrats. I see you have a very successful experience with self checkin because you are superhost.

It would be great if you gave us some tips by written them in a topic!

I am considering using self checking and implement it gradually.

I've already bought two locks that use a password, the ones that don't need keys.

@J-Renato0 Thanks! I love self-check-in because it not only makes the guest's stay easier (I've been a guest many times and arranging meeting times can be difficult, especially when in tourist mode) but it also makes my life so much easier. 

About 3-4 days prior to arrival, I send the guest a detailed message with check-in instructions. This message reiterates the address, what the house looks like/where it is situated on the street, where to park, the keyless entry code (last 4 digits of their cell phone #), where I will likely be if they have any trouble, and my cell phone number for easy access. I make it clear that the apartment is guaranteed by the 3 pm check-in time and that I will message the guest should it be ready any earlier (a.k.a don't show up before 3 unless you have permission.) Very few people respond to this message but I know 100% read it or else how would they get inside? Then on the day of arrival, I will typically send the guest a message when I am done cleaning and have activated their code, letting them know everything is ready for them. This is when I will usually get a response where they will let me know their plans. If they don't, oh well. I live on the same property so it is easy for me to see if a guest has arrived by new cars in the driveway or inside/outside lights. Hosts who live off-site should use cameras to confirm these details. I give guests complete privacy and they really appreciate it.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Emilia42 

Thank you very much for the great tips on self-check-in. It will be very useful to me! 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We meet and greet every guest, except when they arrive late, say, after 22:00. We have all the key code entry things and a well oiled procedure, so that's not a problem.

Aside from the obvious good relations meet & greet facilitates, our home is a "smarthome", off grid solar powered, so we need to introduce most guests to the special nature of all that, and show them how it all works. It's all very simple and uncumbersome, but for many, it's different and unexpected, so it's important that they get a bit of an introduction. 

Aside from that, we also have guest services vendors who can (optionally) provide daily cleaning and/or private chef breakfasts, lunches and dinner, shopping services, horseback tours, and even hot air balloon flights taking off right from the villa. So, we also introduce those additional services to the guest before and when the guest checks in. Our last guests hired a chef and cleaning services for every day of their stay. They didn't have to do anything but have a holiday. The ones before that booked a balloon ride from the Villa to the South coast.

For some, that's what a real holiday is all about. 😎 We feel lucky that we can provide this level of service. But then, aside from the nice personal touches, it's still a business, and we have to be competitive. 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I still don't have self-checkin. So I often have contact with guests.

When the guests arrive, I welcome them and show them around the apartment quickly. I can also give them some tips on places to go and tours, of course if they want to. Some guests are more talkative and others more reserved.

I consider  using self-checkin as an option in the future.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Stephaniei like to welcome each guest to our cottage, this way I am saying we live on the premises too. I give instructions to go down the side path and I will meet them down at the cottage.

My husband meets and introduces himself from our back varandah while passing me a hamper basket. Which has supplies for 2 morning breakfast, 1x light continental 1x cooked breakfast which I dont advertise in case curcumstances change. I also provide fresh warm scones jam and cream. I provide these items because i want to and my research showed if one gave back 10% you would still make a profit. I  like to give a genuine welcome and after staying as a guest in other peoples homes experiencing different types.

I also provide them a full introduction to the cottage and where everything is. (for no complaints you didnt have this or couldn't find that).

We try to give our guest private space and only converse if we are out and about in the garden. Then we exchange peasantry conversation trying to keep neutral.

Lastly, I have adapted Airbnbing as a hobby as my cottage had sat vacant for 6 months after we moved out and into the main residence that we had been renovating for 2 years. I didn't realise we would have so many bookings for our first summer with people travelling and staying in each state because of covid outbreaks and laws changing all the time. If I get tired of it or it is taking up too much time (as I am the cleaner, husband man useful) we are learning to close the books and have time out or run away ourselves to catch up with family and friends.

Summer64
Level 7
Lewisville, TX

I normally personally greet my guests. I live in my listing and just airbnb a room. I've found it awkward to have them check in and pretend I don't hear them arrive. I have found some guests appreciate it, and some don't seem to. I wish I could read to know before they show up so I knew for sure. I try to greet them when they come in, give them some time to put their stuff away, and then ask if they'd like a brief tour.

I agree Summer. We greet them at the front door, walk them back to the guest room, give a quick review, and let them know we're here if they need anything. I think our guests enjoy the personal touch. 

Jennifer1773
Level 10
Brevard, NC

@Stephanie , I have never met my guests in person, but try to hit all "six" senses when my guests arrive... 

SIGHT: Ok they already have viewed my listing photos... I just need to make sure everything is spotless and lives up to those photos.

SMELL: I want my place to smell awesome. For me that is really the absence of bad smells and chemical smells. Helping me to accomplish this in an older, pet friendly home is lowering humidity (HVAC or dehumidifier), charcoal, simmering lemons in water or vinegar in water,  baking soda on the rugs, washing all linens/bedspreads/couch covers, carefully choosing cleaning products, and ventilating the home as much as possible between guests. This is often my biggest challenge during turnovers and can take some time...

TOUCH: Fans are going in all rooms when guests arrive, even during the winter months.

TASTE: My favorite local chocolates, coffee and ice cold water are available for the humans; locally made organic biscuits for the pups.

SOUND: Ok I am realizing I have not really addressed this one... I just hope it is quiet except for the birds... fingers crossed the neighbors (and the birds) cooperate!

PERSONAL CONNECTION: I try to make sure the guests feel welcome with a personalized chalkboard note and communication through the messaging system. 

That's it!

Hello. We've been hosts for 6 years now and a Super host. But this is my first time joining the conversation. We recently updated out listing so that guests know they can self check-in if they want. But normally we greet all our guests so that they feel welcome.