First time AirBnB host seeking advice

Steve3145
Level 2
San Jose, CA

First time AirBnB host seeking advice

Greeting hosts...

We are starting to have our first home AirBnB'd in San Jose Area near downtown. A two-story, quite clean in cul-de-sac!

Any suggestions from posting to what I should expect and be watch for is extremely appreciated.

Also, any of you know whether there is a link to take the first steps with AirBnB itself to make sure we are lined up with them?

Regards,

Steve

5 Replies 5
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Steve3145 

You don’t have a listing yet so I can’t make many suggestions.

You can learn a lot from this forum if you participate frequently. There are many people with years of experience who will be happy to offer advice.

There are also many videos posted by Airbnb, some of which might be helpful.

One tip up front: Airbnb’s recommended price is way too low, and their recommended discounts are ridiculously high.

Examine your local competitors carefully.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Steve3145 Good for you for wanting to get it right before you even list. Many hosts just jump in without doing Airbnb 'school' first. Be sure to read all the Airbnb policies and terms thoroughly and peruse the help pages to learn how things work. Then spend some time here in the CC to learn some hosting street smarts. In that same vein - important to know is that not everything Airbnb will suggest you do is in your best interest. The 'new to hosting' board is a good place to start. Once your listing is ready, post here asking for critiques. Good luck!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Steve3145  One piece of advice I would give to new hosts is not to try to attract any and all comers. 

Decide on your target market, set the place up to cater to that, and write up your listing in a way to attract those guests and discourage those who won't be a good fit for you or your place.

A place that is good for families with kids, one that is good for digital nomads and business travelers, one that is good for couples looking for a vacation or a romantic weekend, one that is good for  outdoorsy types who'll be biking and hiking, etc. are all different demographics.  You'll still get quite a range of guests and crossover, but I think it works out better for hosts not to try to cater to wildly divergent needs and desires.

Also, a lower maximum guest count is preferable to trying to house as many as possible. Larger groups make more of a mess, there can be a party atmosphere, and more potential for damage. If you have 2 bedrooms with king beds, list it for 4 people. Resist the urge to put a hideabed sofa in the living room so you can list it for 6, rendering the living room not really common space anymore.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

Great comments from everyone! I would add not to turn on instant booking. I would also make sure your insurance is in order. And, install a camera at entrance to keep an eye on number of guests showing up