Getting your listing guest ready

Getting your listing guest ready

9a923de7-1eea-469a-901c-6e5d268ba3b0.jpeg

We decorated the space for our family's needs and tastes because we use it part time. We call our place "mother-in-law" approved. A number of people wrote in our guest book that it felt like being in a home instead of a rental space. Here's some tips:

1. Decorate to please yourself. I have booked sterile (but attractive) Airbnb's and they don't feel comfortable. Just feels like a Residence Inn or an Embassy Suites.  I much prefer the ones that feel like you can sink into a couch and be "at home" temporarily.

2.Don't scrimp on high quality items. They hold up better to abuse and use than low budget stuff. If it's particle board or MDF - you'll eventually be sorry. They break easily and are susceptible to moisture. Go for high quality fabrics and hardwood furniture frames when possible.

3. My secret weapon? Estate Sales from upper income homes/neighborhoods. Shop the ads and look at the photos. If you see something that fits your needs and it's in your budget buy on first day. Designers will be competing to get the best things for their clients. If not, see what is left on the last day of the sale (half-price day). Be first in line (In the U.S. you can put a marker down then go sit in your car).  If the house is packed sometimes things are marked down 75% on the last day since the remains will be sold for pennies on the dollar to liquidators.  Do not forget to poke around in the garage or basement for odds and ends you didn't know you needed until you saw it. Many times you can find things with the tags still on them.

4. Decorate - Put pictures on the wall. Or mirrors. Or clocks. Those things make it feel like a home.

5. Use IKEA or other stores for things that are less important (plates and silverware, for example). Although we found bone china by Mikasa at Costco on clearance for less than IKEA was charging for plastic dishes. We found a full set of Corelle dishes and bowls at a thrift store for $5 total.

6. IKEA has reasonably priced curtains. Use white sheers beneath them - they'll cast brighter light into a room.

7. Keep tinkering. As you find better things, donate what you have been using and trade up.

8. Sheets and towels from Costco have lasted for a long time. When they go on sale we buy multiple back-up sets and put the extras away in case of accidents on existing inventory.  We keep an iron and an ironing board on site because iron the pillow cases to look more crisp after they come out of the dryer. (we hang them in the closet for the next time they are needed.)

9. Games, books, DVD's are helpful. We took over games we liked to play but were not attached to (in case pieces were lost) and supplemented with others we found when thrifting. A number of families left notes about being able to play board games at the dining room table.

10. Whiteboard you can use to greet guests. We write the names and a welcome on the board. Sometimes people erase it and leave us a note of thanks when they check out.

11. Put a patterned rug inside the door to catch muddy boots and shoes.

12. Put security cameras on your front and back door. You'll thank me later.

79 Replies 79
Victor-Manuel10
Level 2
Balearic Islands, Spain

great tips, thank you for sharing your experience, it will help to make the service better.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

These are great tips @Christine615😍  Thank you for sharing this!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Great tips! I bake molasses cookies made with sorghum which was grown and processed by our down-the-mountain neighbor..they've been a big hit! Also decorate with my paintings and quilts, which gives our rustic cottage a homey feel.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Christine615  great tips! I will add a few.

- Amazon is your friend for sets of pots and pans that are inexpensive and last. Some guests are very picky about the kitchen. I am not much of a cook, but have gotten a ton of utensils from Marshalls/TJ Maxx and sets of mixing bowls and cookware for Amazon. I cheaped out on a knife block early on and spent a bit more to replace it. Cutting boards, however, should be as inexpensive as possible as my nicer ones have tended to disappear.

- Spend wisely on furnishings. Mattresses and sofas are probably where we spent the most.  Chairs, tables, shelves, etc are stylish but inexpensive. 

-Easy clean floors are a GREAT investment. You will never regret having a floor you can wipe down and doesn't easily stain. 

-Fresh flowers are lovely and make the space seem loved. You don't have to go nuts but buying a bouquet of something bright and pretty can really elevate a space for not a lot of money.

-Be careful with baked goods. Guests can get freaked out by things not in packaging or with ingredients they are allergic to. Ask guests about allergies/preferences if you are going to offer them a treat at check in. Same with wine-- we love it, not everyone does.

-Dust under furniture/wipe down baseboards between each guest. Even if you have cleaning services. It really helps. 

-Have a friend stay before you start charging people. Go through the whole routine of cleaning and set up. Get honest feedback. Make a checklist of things to look at between each guest. 

@Laura2592  Really great tips, i remember looking for an airbnb to stay in and one review was a complaint about dust on overhead fans and cobwebs on cornice so i make sure i clean these regularly,

the odd guest can be very fussy and picky.

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Max144 and @Christine615 don't forget light fittings, art or painting frames for dust for dust. When guests are lying in bed they look and see little things.

Yes, you can easily forget about the accumulated dust on the fans and those unwanted guest nesting in the corners of the room.  

I really like this advices! Zara home is too very good to buy some details for your apartment

Betty418
Level 2
Anchor Point, AK

Great advise all around.  I have covered most bases.  I have two brand new cabins, we spared no expense.  We covered the walls with art prints, and other art.  Mirrors, clocks.  Lighting everywhere.  For Alaska black out curtains are a must.  I put a small assorted box of chocolates on the bed.  Fruit on the table.  Lots of extra, spices, local coffee beans, creamers.  I love the snack basket idea @Christine615.  I will incorporate that.  I provide laundry soap and softener.  A few popular board games, and plenty of books of the history or information about our local area and state.  Keep the great advise coming.  I am learning.

Elizabeth2242
Level 2
Port St. Lucie, FL

I'm new to hosting and have a question.  What do most of you use for shower curtains?  Do you use a clear liner that is cleaned by housekeeping or just the fabric curtain that is then washed between guests?

Try and change to sliding glass if above bath tub or install glass door or if possible nothing just leave it open like new hotels and house builds are doing so less cleaning and safer, if all else fails go for the clear as guests can see thats its clean as same as i use white sheets and towels which take a lot of cleaning to keep pristine but its what guests expect and appreciated to know a place is spotless, i myself use dark sheets and towels as so much easier but for guests i am always striving to give them the very best experience i can.   

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

+1 to the no glass option. We have magnificent generously sized tall glass shower cubicles, and boy are they a pain to clean. 

we now use CLR to clean the showers. Spray, wait 5mins, rinse off and then we have the Karcher vacuum squeegee thingy to dry it off. You still need a good microfibre cloth to finish. 

@Elizabeth224,

I use a clear shower curtain liner and a white shower curtain. I throw away the clear liner after each season. The white curtain is washable.

@Elizabeth2242 I have shower curtains and wash them with hot water and with nappysan or similar product. They are washed after guests check out and have 3 sets, 1 up, 1 in wash and 1 spare. It is part of my bathroom cleaning process.

Thank you;  I'm in the setting-up process and had not thought through the shower curtain cleaning process. Helpful!