Getting your listing guest ready

Getting your listing guest ready

9a923de7-1eea-469a-901c-6e5d268ba3b0.jpeg

We decorated the space for our family's needs and tastes because we use it part time. We call our place "mother-in-law" approved. A number of people wrote in our guest book that it felt like being in a home instead of a rental space. Here's some tips:

1. Decorate to please yourself. I have booked sterile (but attractive) Airbnb's and they don't feel comfortable. Just feels like a Residence Inn or an Embassy Suites.  I much prefer the ones that feel like you can sink into a couch and be "at home" temporarily.

2.Don't scrimp on high quality items. They hold up better to abuse and use than low budget stuff. If it's particle board or MDF - you'll eventually be sorry. They break easily and are susceptible to moisture. Go for high quality fabrics and hardwood furniture frames when possible.

3. My secret weapon? Estate Sales from upper income homes/neighborhoods. Shop the ads and look at the photos. If you see something that fits your needs and it's in your budget buy on first day. Designers will be competing to get the best things for their clients. If not, see what is left on the last day of the sale (half-price day). Be first in line (In the U.S. you can put a marker down then go sit in your car).  If the house is packed sometimes things are marked down 75% on the last day since the remains will be sold for pennies on the dollar to liquidators.  Do not forget to poke around in the garage or basement for odds and ends you didn't know you needed until you saw it. Many times you can find things with the tags still on them.

4. Decorate - Put pictures on the wall. Or mirrors. Or clocks. Those things make it feel like a home.

5. Use IKEA or other stores for things that are less important (plates and silverware, for example). Although we found bone china by Mikasa at Costco on clearance for less than IKEA was charging for plastic dishes. We found a full set of Corelle dishes and bowls at a thrift store for $5 total.

6. IKEA has reasonably priced curtains. Use white sheers beneath them - they'll cast brighter light into a room.

7. Keep tinkering. As you find better things, donate what you have been using and trade up.

8. Sheets and towels from Costco have lasted for a long time. When they go on sale we buy multiple back-up sets and put the extras away in case of accidents on existing inventory.  We keep an iron and an ironing board on site because iron the pillow cases to look more crisp after they come out of the dryer. (we hang them in the closet for the next time they are needed.)

9. Games, books, DVD's are helpful. We took over games we liked to play but were not attached to (in case pieces were lost) and supplemented with others we found when thrifting. A number of families left notes about being able to play board games at the dining room table.

10. Whiteboard you can use to greet guests. We write the names and a welcome on the board. Sometimes people erase it and leave us a note of thanks when they check out.

11. Put a patterned rug inside the door to catch muddy boots and shoes.

12. Put security cameras on your front and back door. You'll thank me later.

79 Replies 79
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Just to add to number 9: No guests, not even guests who were alive in 1981, will ever play the 1981 "Genus" Edition Trivial Pursuit Mastergame you inherited from your mother-in-law because the other daughters-in-law didn't want it. You might as well donate it to Goodwill. You have already? Good.

Guests will play Battleship, checkers, chess, regular cards, and that weird "know your camping skills" set of flashcards you got for free at an outdoor show. 

Love your list, @Christine615 ! I'm the same when it comes to being "at home" versus the sterile suite. Either is fine, but "at home" just feels better. 

I am a huge fan of, and relish every bit of advice and suggestions posted by @Christine615   Thank you for sharing with the rest of us!  If you're ever thinking of visiting Cape Cod please reach out, I'd be so flattered to host you!

Totally agree with @Christine615  & @Lawrene0 , my friends. Amazing how much we share in common, across the miles……. 💐

Thanks @Lawrene0 and @Deb216 

hoping hosts will add tips to the list. We learn so much from each other. 

And I miss Cape Cod. 🙂

@Christine615 great tips from you and other hosts. One tip I have is put some money away from each booking for maintenance of items in  property. Such replacing cooking items, sheets, furniture or patching walls for dints or touch up paint.

My other tip is I put money away from each booking for tax, that way you don't need to find it at the end of financial year and if any left over use it for a treat for yourself or a holiday.

Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

@Christine615  You are so right and have covered most things, i believe in the old saying You have to spend money to make money, i have new beds and mattress's as some guests strip the bed before leaving, and some have told me they have taken photo of mattress label as had such good sleep and a good sleep is so important, one guest commented he liked to read at night so bought nice bedside lamps,

Have put large sheepskin rug on polished floors bought from Costco.

Quality linen and pillows a must and Costco towels are great.

I know most people use phones for time at night but still have digital clock radios by bedside.

Dont forget the fresh flowers and little chocolate on the bed. 

Hi @Max144. Sadly we don’t have a Costco here, but Spotlight and online shopping work well. I only have a clock in the living area, so lights or a ticking noise doesn’t upset anyone. But I do have motion sensor lights at the entry to the living spaces and the toilet, for night use. Assists with some light and can protect against slip, trips and falls.  If they aren’t wanted, they can be turned face down. I provide a child’s night light (a ladybug with star reflections on the walls and ceiling) for family groups to use if they so desire. It can be comforting for children in a different room to their own…..

My chocolate per person is in the fridge with a water bottle each. 
For any chocolates on the bed would be very dangerous: they would be inclined to melt if the air cons aren’t on… lol.. 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cathie19 

I like your suggestion about night lights and have thought about doing this myself as the occasional guest seems to have an issue operating light switches. However I have three cats, so I was worried those lights would be constantly turned on by the kitties.

I use it to mitigate against guests falling over or tripping in unfamiliar spaces. Corridors and bathrooms are good.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Cathie19 

Yes, I was thinking about corridors.

However, we have very strict electrical safety regulations in the UK and you certainly cannot use anything like that in a bathroom.

@Huma0 , I use battery operated sensor lights as I don’t like the idea of running electricity. Mine use 4 x AAA batteries. (NEveR anything  with button batteries for safety) Mine are on shelves, little side tables etc, so they can be flipped if not needed. But the particular ones I got can be stuck via adhesive two sided tape or little screws. I got mine through promotions at Bunnings ages ago. But there are many types out there. 💐750CB5AB-C76D-4544-9394-07A676CB2780.jpeg

Yep, we use high quality luxury bamboo sheets & down comforter. As you said we know people love to read in bed so we also have brand new memory foam mattresses with adjustable base. This way you can adjust bed to a comfortable reading position. We also like you said have a digital clock radio and always leave a little box of Lindor Truffles by the bed. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Totally agree with @Christine615  & @Lawrene0 , my friends.

We also use the space for ourselves and family and friends, so it has to feel like us…

I buy tea towels, bed linen and towels that I’d happily use. I leave items for use that I would want, including food condiments, what we supply upfront and board games, books etc. 

After all, it is our downstairs space, that just happens to gets used by AIrbnb guests, between our use.

So with taking on some painting of late, (on the easel) I may even upgrade some art work in the space. But that will have to wait till I can visit a framer.

The wonderful tutoring artist who has graciously taken me on as a student in her online workshops, just happens to be my cousin, so for the last seven months, I’m in brilliantly talented and safe hands…. 
Original painting and photo belong to Lyn Mellady. This is my attempt from her online workshop. Not for reprinting.Original painting and photo belong to Lyn Mellady. This is my attempt from her online workshop. Not for reprinting.A7A7116C-B289-458C-A9C5-BF722EB1FF7C.jpeg

@Cathie19  I have had guests on showing the room  start eating wrapped chocolates off bed so they dont have time to melt lol