Giving a negative Review

Giving a negative Review

Hi Everyone,

I'm quite new to hosting and for the first time I've had a guest leave my place in a real mess which is quite sad. Now I have to write a review and although I will be honest in my review I don't want to be too negative in such a public forum. However, I do want to write a Private Note to tell my guest that i am disappointed and point out where she could have improved  so my question is, does the Private note get delivered immediately or only when both guest and host have both written their reviews? Thanks for any guidance you may have. Thanks.

14 Replies 14
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sian-And-Griff0 

The private message is delivered to the guest when the review(s) is/are posted .

(after 14 days or when host and guest both completed there review)

From the help-files:

"As part of the review process, you’ll also have the option to leave private feedback for your host or guest. These private comments are shared at the same time that the reviews are posted."

@Emiel1 in Leeuwarden

Thank you so much for your reply x

Hi @Sian-And-Griff0 

Welcome to the community 😊

@Emiel1  has pointed out correctly.

Honest reviews are much appreciated ✌️

Happy Hosting!

@Dale711 

Thank you!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sian-And-Griff0  Please be honest in your public review. The purpose of leaving reviews for guests is to let other hosts know what your experience was with the guest. If this is a guest you wouldn't want back, other hosts need to be warned so they have info to decide whether of not to accept the guest.

A review can mention issues without being harsh. And you can balance it by mentioning any positives, if there were any. So for instance "Good communication, followed house rules, but cleaning time required after this guest was far beyond normal."

Try not to think of reviews in terms of negative or positive, but as being honest.

There are some cases where I would choose to mention something like a big mess privately rather than make it a big deal  in the review. For instance if it was some 19 year old who was otherwise a good guest, but I felt they had just never been taught to clean up after themselves, or had the incorrect notion that the host is like their mommy or personal maid, and should have to spend time washing a pile of dirty dishes they left, etc. If I felt they were open to learning that isn't acceptable, and would take it to heart and be a better guest next time, I might give them private feedback and write in the review "This guest would be welcome back, as he was quite pleasant, and a good communicator, if he learned to be attentive to cleaning up his personal messes before checking out."

@Sarah977 

Thanks for your input Sarah - much appreciated!

I will of course be honest in my public review because, as you say - other hosts often rely on them when deciding whether to accept guests.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

It is possible to be honest without being "negative."

Something like: Extra cleaning was needed and took longer than the allotted cleaning fee. 

If negative is what it is,  then negative it needs.  Do you want guests where other hosts sugar coated their reviews and mislead you to believe weren't all that bad? I had one smoking weed,  going outside mostly naked,  burned my stuff with hair iron,  smoking cigarettes and leaving my towels all outside blown away,  plus sex toys left outside.  I was not going to be anything but negative about that.  Sorry.  Sometimes it is warranted.  

LACEY J.

@Lacey55 Sounds like a nightmare! Fortunately my guest's flaw wasn't so extreme;)

Lacey55
Level 2
West Monroe, LA

You need to let the other hosts know about it.  If they did wrong,  that's on them. Their fault the review was bad and public.  I am new too and had to leave a 1 star review.  I told All.  The only other review they had was a 1 star too and they told all.  It's our duty to inform the next host,  not to protect their feelings! How i see it at least!

LACEY J.

Hi @Lacey55

‘ It's our duty to inform the next host,  not to protect their feelings!’ 

You’re well articulate, right on. 👍

Happy Hosting! 

Way to go ✌️

@Lacey55 my guest had only one previous review but it was super positive - which is why I accepted the booking. So it was very surprising that she left my place in a mess.

Same here. They are saying that the cleaning crew was wrong.

It is difficult to judge people by one situation, perhaps they had a very good time and did not have time to clean up after themselves. Be positive and people with same vibration will come to you.