Guest denies damages

Barbara2543
Level 3
Athens, GA

Guest denies damages

Hi. I’m new to hosting—only two months in and have had four guests. The last guest damaged some items. I dealt with it through the resolution process, the guest denied the damage and declined to pay so I submitted the claim to Airbnb. Then the guest requested a full refund, and accused me of discrimination. I declined the refund and Airbnb reimbursed me 48% of my claimed damages. 

I’m reeling from this and am wondering how others deal with this type of situation. I can’t wrap my around how this guest repeatedly denies causing the damage. Perhaps I’m naive and have an unreasonable expectation that people will be honest and responsible? I just don’t get it. 

16 Replies 16
Kim866
Level 7
Puryear, TN

@Karl-and-Cindy0 

I would think these are possibly crews sent to the area for work--explains the groups of men and asking to extend a day when the job takes longer.  We frequently host work crews--some are great--some not so much--lol

Gustavo67
Level 1
Florida, United States

Sadly I am not surprised by the outcome of your hosting experience.  I just had a guest with great reviews from other hosts.  He tried to cancel a couple of days before checking in , I said no refund due to strict cancellation policy . He ended up checking in , one hour into the stay he contacted me saying his companion got locked up in the bathroom, they broke not only the door knob but also damaged the door frame  which now has to be replaced .  The guest left  messaged me right after the incident saying they would not stay and moved out immediately.   Airbnb sided with the guest , cancel the reservation, and I am hooked with an $800 to replace the door frame.  I looking at options now because regardless of the  terms of use on Airbnb , they , Airbnb put a person in my apartment who damaged my property and someone , not me , has to pick up that bill.