Guest denies damages

in
Athens, GA
Level 2

Hi. I’m new to hosting—only two months in and have had four guests. The last guest damaged some items. I dealt with it through the resolution process, the guest denied the damage and declined to pay so I submitted the claim to Airbnb. Then the guest requested a full refund, and accused me of discrimination. I declined the refund and Airbnb reimbursed me 48% of my claimed damages. 

I’m reeling from this and am wondering how others deal with this type of situation. I can’t wrap my around how this guest repeatedly denies causing the damage. Perhaps I’m naive and have an unreasonable expectation that people will be honest and responsible? I just don’t get it. 

2 Replies

Re: Guest denies damages

in
Berlin, Germany
Level 10

@Barbara2543   Unfortunately, people are far less likely to be honest and responsible when doing so will cost them money or deprive them of something they want. So more often than not, if you try to bill guests for damage or confront them on a broken rule, they will retaliate in some form (bad reviews and refund demands being the most common).  When you have to take an action that displeases a guest, you have to make sure it's worth the backlash.

You might find guests to be a little more cautious and tidy if you arrange an in-person checkout. It's hard to deny the state a room's in to someone who's standing right next to you in it.

Re: Guest denies damages

in
Frederick, MD
Level 10

@Barbara2543 this is sadly common. But what is uncommon is that you got at least some of your claim!

Your first few guests are generally the worst ones. They know how much you need those initial reviews. Many hosts just suck up the bad experiences and chalk it up to cost of doing business. Making a claim will alert the poor guest to leave you a retaliatory review so many bad guests gamble that you won't call them out. 

This is why honest reviews are so important. Even as a seasoned host I am truly shocked by the number of guests I get with good reviews from others who are incredibly messy, do damage, take items, invite people over beyond capacity and just generally disregard the rules.  I know we can't be the first to experience these things with these guests, but other hosts have not even given the slightest hint there might be an issue.