Guest requests early check in

Answered!

Guest requests early check in

Hi,

I was hoping for some advice 

I've got a guest booked for one night and asked for early check in, so we agreed that he could check in 1 hour early at 2pm.

He sent me emails asking for the address, key safe code and WIFI password, all of which are set up already as scheduled messages which I had advised him of.

Its now almost 4pm and hes not turned up yet...

what would you do?

Call him to find out where he is or just be wary that hes going to ask for a late check out??

cheers in advance

🙂

1 Best Answer
Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

@Jo719 

I try to accommodate requests for early check-ins/late check-outs......if I can.  I figure it creates goodwill, and you can never have enough of that. It might make for a more understanding guest if unforeseen issues develop during the stay. If you can't, you can't - fair enough.

As for guests who request early check-ins and then arrive well past the standard check-in time without communicating, there's a very hot corner of hell reserved especially for them LOL! it happens, unfortunately, and it's always irritating. 

Why don't you message your guest and ask he's checked in ok? That might at least prompt some response, so you know what's happening for your own peace of mind.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10

Thanks for that… 

we don’t usually allow less than 2 nights but this one slipped past us

really appreciate your feedback, thanks for taking the time 👍

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why not change your settings then so guests can only book for two nights ? @Jo719 

Exactly! I used to worry about these things. I don’t even allow early check-in. Usually I am rushing to turn, only to have them arrive late anyway. Or if they want to just ‘leave their bags’, it gets in myself or my assistants’ way as we clean. Plus… we don’t want the extra liability.

Yogita3
Level 2
Goa, India

Hi @Jo719 ,

I had this same situation where it was a one night booking and early check-in request, the guest arrived later than the normal check in time. I was surely unhappy about it as I had to rush through my cleaning process for no reason.

My suggestion would be to wait for some time till the guests call you back  or once they arrive  check if the guests have courtesy to explain why they are late. Take a call based on that.

Jenny349
Level 10
Bordeaux, France

@Jo719 

I try to accommodate requests for early check-ins/late check-outs......if I can.  I figure it creates goodwill, and you can never have enough of that. It might make for a more understanding guest if unforeseen issues develop during the stay. If you can't, you can't - fair enough.

As for guests who request early check-ins and then arrive well past the standard check-in time without communicating, there's a very hot corner of hell reserved especially for them LOL! it happens, unfortunately, and it's always irritating. 

Why don't you message your guest and ask he's checked in ok? That might at least prompt some response, so you know what's happening for your own peace of mind.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Jo719 

We routinely offer early checkin/late checkout if our schedule allows for it.

The problem is that I have to sit around waiting for them to show up and when they don’t have the courtesy to update me when they are delayed it’s very annoying.

We have had guests show up three hours late and casually remark that the delay was due to them deciding to stop for dinner on the way.

We had delayed our own dinner so that we wouldn’t be interrupted.

To me this indicates a callous disregard for my time or perhaps extreme ignorance. Possibly they imagine that this is a hotel with 24-hour concierge service.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Brian2036 

I think that @Jo719 has a key safe/self check in system so she's not waiting around for the guest. It's still annoying to have to rush the turn over for a guest that doesn't even have the courtesy to then let you know they are arriving later. I doubt that many guests even think about this though. They often seem to imagine that the Airbnb lives in some little magical bubble that is just for them, with no guests staying before or after. It's not logical obviously, but I've noticed this many times. 

Like you, I do an in-person check in and used to experience the same problems as you over and over again. Guests just seemed to assume that you are there anyway, so as long as they show up within the 3-9pm check in window, no harm done. 

I had to make it crystal clear that they needed to specify a time in advance and let me know if they are running late and I also really stress the check in time is between 3-9pm, no earlier (later will incur a fee) and no early bag drops either. Of course, I do make exceptions to this, but only if a guest asks nicely and it fits with my schedule anyway. It's a shame to have to get so strict about it but, after being mucked around countless times, it was either that or stop hosting!

Vee274
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

@Jo719  I usually offer a two night minimum stay over a weekend as I don’t want to miss out on the one night stays. I almost always have a request for an early check in and I mostly try and accommodate them as I’m new to Airbnb and want to get some traction on my place.. One guest asked for a check in at 10am, obviously I said no..   I’m not sure if I should revert to a two night min for all my nights. It’s a catch 22 for me. 

I never allow a one night booking anymore. We had a guest with 4 wonderful reviews. Fortunately we live near our rental and happened to notice some unusual activity. After realizing that several police cars were showing up we found out that the booking was made with a fraudulent account and they were hosting an internet radio event in our 2 bedroom oceanfront condominium. The police evicted them due to noise ordinance complaints but they apparently had booked several other places in town so were heading to the next address. I was so upset for the other airbnb hosts as these guests knew they would be evicted so reserved several places to quickly move their event. When they opened the door to the police there were over 40 people in the unit and they were collecting money at the door.  Not only do I have a two night minimum now, but I also require all adults are listed on the reservation before I will confirm a request to book.

Jill159
Level 2
Cotswold District, United Kingdom

I am fed up with guests asking for earlier Checkin and arriving late after running around trying to get things done in time 

seriously thinking of charging them