Guests changing dates a lot

Cherry99
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Guests changing dates a lot

I have a guest booked for a month who has one rating on airbnb. He is starting to concern me as first he paid with a coupon, then has since requested to change his dates 4 times, each time so it’s just out of the cancellation policy period. I just got a fifth date change request. 
I’m concerned because he’s blocking a large amount of dates from other potential guests, but also I think there’s something really fishy going on, has anyone had any experience like this? He rarely writes to me saying why, just sends the date request. 
I wonder if he’s driving me to cancel on him and then he’ll get money? I don’t know Airbnb policies very well yet so any info/experience would be greatly appreciated 

4 Replies 4
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cherry99 if the guest instigates the change then the cancellation policy dates should stay with the original booking dates.

Personally I think you should reject the change as they are continually blocking dates for other guests which is damaging your business.

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Cherry99  I think what he's doing is dodging the expiration date of the coupon. If you book with a superhost coupon and cancel, the money goes poof. However, if you change the dates the value should stay intact. It could be the same for a coupon for a canceled reservation or some kind of reimbursement from AirBnB. I bet that's it.

This time you should just say no. At a minimum, ask him why he's doing this, and explain what he's doing to your calendar. There may be another explanation(?)

Good luck. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You've gone above and beyond already, @Cherry99. Enough - no more date changes.  

Cherry99
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

Ok thank you for your help, I'm new to Airbnb so wasn't sure if it was usual behaviour!