Guests not leaving by check out time

Answered!
Ale19826
Level 2
St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands

Guests not leaving by check out time

Hello! So I'm fairly new to hosting and I need some help. Most of my guests are not respecting my check out time at 11am. They leave at 1130, 12pm . They are not asking for late check out and it states it on my listing and house rules. I also have a guest book when they arrive that states it there also. I've been blessed to have back to back bookings which is great but the problem with people checking out late they leave me rushing to get the cleaning done. I let them know check out is 11am and still it does not make a difference. What can I do? Any suggestions? I've read a few post saying Airbnb doesn't get involved if I were to put a late fee. It's starting to get very frustrating since it's affecting my next reservation. 

1 Best Answer

Hi @Ale19826 

@Andrea-and-Glenn0  advised are greatly appreciated.

In addition, a friendly reminder by WhatsApp or SMS may be helpful.

In inevitable fact, it would help if you had the guest checkout by 11 am. You may consider clearly announced in the listing, check out times no later than 10 am.

In my perspective, as Airbnb an home environment accommodation, STR.

By posting a laminated sign of check out times on the inside of entry door is unpleasant.

Beside, the plastic sign is 1980, 1990 outdated an ancient type of reminde.

View Best Answer in original post

27 Replies 27
Ale19826
Level 2

@Alexandra316 Thank you! I'm going to try it all lol Hopeing one sticks. If not I will definitely try this as well! Thank you for your suggestion! 😁

So, we just had our first late checkout. Lesson learned. When this happens, and you do go through with a late checkout fee, how easy is it to add it to their bill? I mean, they have already paid. So is this done through the resolution area? And did you put your policy in your house rules? Still so new to this, I had a difficult time finding any helpful information in AirBnb videos and information! Thanks!

I also have added to my Guest Manual that there is a late fee for check-out. The great part is that it is an extra fee so it is completely up to you as to whether you charge it or not. I have only charged once, and that was because the guest left her partner and her stuff to go to a class and came back 6 hours AFTER check-out. I have also found that if I let them know that the "cleaning crew" (me) arrives at 11:15 (11:00 am check-out time), guests are really good at getting out. Best of luck! (I have been hosting for over 8 years now, still loving it).

Jacqui-And-Colin0
Level 2
Ventnor, United Kingdom

Send instructions for checkout mid afternoon before their departure date. We do this a have had guests who thought they had booked for longer so worth doing. In my experience the guests who ask for a later check out have been the ones who leave the place in a mess.

Ale19826
Level 2

@Jacqui-And-Colin0 I'm definitely trying sending them the day before check out a reminder just in case! Thank you!! 

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

this is why our checkout time is 10 (used to be 11.... 11 often turned into 1130... but 10 is usually 10, idk why!)

Ale19826
Level 2

@Kelly149 This might have to be my next alternative because people are just not listening for some reason! Thank you!! 

@Ale19826 I did this too, and promptly got an idiot who gave me a 4 for the  ‘check in” category because he didn’t care for a 10 am checkout time. Note that he had no trouble checking in (and helped himself to an 11 am checkout anyway).  Now, I don’t lose too much sleep over the ratings category but it does stick in my craw because my check in procedure is easy, flawless, and 5 star. You can’t fix stupid, so I would try the other tactics first. 

Ale19826
Level 2

@Colleen253 I'm afraid of that. But you're right! I'll try the other suggestion first then I'll leave the 10am check in towards the end. Thank you! 

Nicole2474
Level 2
Charlotte, NC

So I stayed at an AirBnb recently in Myrtle Beach and it said, "Your Check out is at 11am, for each minute after, you will be charged $1 per minute extra for your stay". I have now put this in my language and haven't had any trouble since. I post a check out check list on the refrigerator, I put it in my airbnb post and I put it in their departure message that goes out mid day before they leave. Good Luck!!

Nicole Henry

Great tips, I learned a lot of useful things for myself

Marissa160
Level 10
Dallas, TX

@Ale19826  You may think this is pushy but I stayed in an Airbnb in St. John last February. The mgmt company had check out time as 10 am and told me the cleaners would be there at 9:30/9:45 to start preparing the property. I am the kind of guest that leaves well  before check out time but it occurred to me on the islands that maybe people get too used to “island time” and that is why the mgt company does that. Something to consider! 

Anthony608
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

We now have an electronic lock with a timer and it will cancel the doorcode exactly at checkout at 11AM unless the guest has paid for late checkout.  it also has an autolock feature meaning if the guest steps outside and closes the door, the door will auto-lock within a few minutes and the guest wont be able to reenter.

We have had a great deal of success with this, once guests understand checkout is effectively automatic now and they will be locked out of the house.  The door lock cant be bargained with, it cant be reasoned with, it doesn't feel pity or remorse or fear, and it absolutely will not unlock... EVER, unless the guest has paid for late checkout!