Guests personal belongings stored in communal areas

Answered!
Jonathan1460
Level 2
Lancaster, United Kingdom

Guests personal belongings stored in communal areas

Hi there

I hope you can help as we are new hosts.  

Our cottage is self-contained and can be accessed without visiting our annexed property.  However, to use off road parking our guests would have to park on a shared driveway.  Also, we are allowing our guests to store their bikes and outdoor equipment in a small storage building we have.  However, this is where we store our own bikes and some equipment so again is a shared area.

I am a little worried about being accused of damaging our guests' property fairly or unfairly to risking damage to our own belongings which we can mitigate by locking them up to the wall.  HAs anybody else managed to successfully used shared areas in this way and do you have any tips to help protect guests and host?

Many thanks

Jonathan

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jonathan1460 

IMO you can offer the storage space to your guests with clause "using it for own risk".

And there is also the "https://www.airbnb.com/d/host-protection-insurance"

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jonathan1460 

IMO you can offer the storage space to your guests with clause "using it for own risk".

And there is also the "https://www.airbnb.com/d/host-protection-insurance"

Jonathan1460
Level 2
Lancaster, United Kingdom

Thanks @Emiel1 I had considered that option but wondered if AirBnB or the guests would not be happy with that approach.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Jonathan1460

I read the listing and it looks well described. In my first 130 guest only a usb charger went missing. It was a couple on their honeymoon so go figure. The only thing I noticed was you mentioned including bikes and kayaks for guest so may consider clarifying. Usually guest ask about a place to store bikes. I think your did mention a storage area, but could also mention there is additional storage for bikes upon request or leave a brief instructions with a key in the cottage. As long as there is room enough I don’t predict any conflict happening and just keep the bikes locked you don’t want guest to use or have more detailed instructions. I wouldn’t bother listing the storage shed as a shard space. I wouldn’t worry about them stealing or damage or accusing you. You should check on insurance especially for boating and providing bikes. For damages I wouldn’t bother with ABB and wouldn’t keep that low of a deductible for insurance as it’s unlikely you will use it so just plan to pay out of pocket for something minor. In a few years I predict you will be like me and have $5 missing usb charger. Looks very well thought out! 

@John5097 One of my daughter's friends was staying with me for a couple of days and walked off with my $25 USB cube which she'd been using. I know she wouldn't have taken it on purpose, I'm sure she just accidentally gathered it up with the rest of her devices, chargers and cords.

@Sarah977  I didn’t mention it. I do put my name on them with a labeler. I don’t think the wife would tolerate anything like that. Usually guest reaches out to me for a broken glass and tell them not to worry about it one bit.

Following up on the original post. I  have STR insurance. Some bikes are very expensive. Guest should have their own insurance for 5k bike. If I was in higher risk location I might lower the deductible. I think people who ride bikes would be even more trustworthy, although each listing is different.