Hosting in Montreal during COVID

Rosalie78
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Hosting in Montreal during COVID

Hi everyone, I’m new to Airbnb and now I’m starting to reconsider my decision… My units are located in Plateau Mont Royal, Montreal, on a busy street that usually attracts a lot of tourists and has a busy night life. 

I’m awaiting the news from our Quebec government to see what the measures are concerning the Omicron variant. 

How was everyone else’s experience with the first round of Covid? I have a team of professional cleaners, as well as self check in and a bunch of safety measures. 

Is it worth it? Did you guys see a huge drop in your occupancy? 

Thanks in advance 🙂 

Rose 

3 Replies 3
Normen0
Level 10
Canada

@Rosalie78 Here in North Bay Ontario, during the first round there were still people (young people) wanting to book even when it was illegal to rent. (We turned them down) Other bookings dropped off and soMe we had to cancel or have them rebook and offer incentives.  
However, when things opened up again, business was booming. We were able to raise our prices dramatically as well, as many more Canadians were traveling in Canada rather than out of Canada and some STRs closed or went to Long term rentals increasing demand but creating a shortage. In 2020 we made more than the year before even with shut downs. At the end of this year, we will have made the highest amount ever in six years of hosting and we used the down time to do more outdoor activities and enjoy the AIRBNB for ourselves while closed.  I recommend you don’t give up!  

Nando11
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

That's a great location, mine is close to Jean Talon market. The occupancy is usually very good, and people are indeed wanting to travel. I opened during covid room rentals, and many guests came back to Canada or travelled to study in Canada nonetheless, spending their quarantine with us! So no worries as long as keep the hand wash and other measures in common sense!

@Nando11 You mentioned that you are close to Jean talon market. Mine too, on Saint-denis street, which is a commercial zone. But when I get to the city, they dont allow me to apply for the permit!!!! 😓

The law changes from time to time!!!!