How do I make our listing clearly show we are staying on the property?

Mandy339
Level 2
Narooma, Australia

It's a new listing and we have a booking, however the client concerned didn't realise we would be there too. Fortunately they are very understanding. 

It's an error on our part and as we always want to be transparent, don't want it to re occur. 

How does everyone else show it, thx in advance?

11 Replies 11
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mandy339  I see you do mention it, but I'd suggest that you work it into your description near the beginning rather than the end. And instead of saying "we will be located in...",  say something like "Please note- this is a host-occupied property- we live in the granny suite downstairs, which is completely separate from the guest space. We respect our guest's privacy, and are always available should you need assistance."

You could also have a paragraph in the description about how much you love living there and why. It's good for owner-occupied properties to work in a personal touch, so you don't get the kind of guests who want an anonymous-type accommodation where they won't be required to ever meet the host or, horror of horrors, engage in a friendly good-morning if they pass you out in the yard 🙂

@Sarah977

thank you for the advice,  you make some very relevant points. 

Very much appreciated.
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Mandy339 

The listing is published as "entire house", but in the description you mention you are living on the lower level. So then it is not an "entire house"., maybe you need to change the "property type" to avoid confusion. That being said: the listing mentions your are living on the premises, guests should read the information in the listing.before booking.

@Emiel1 thank you for your thoughts, I definitely will be clarifying it some more:)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Mandy339 

Hi Mandy, you have a lovely property in a fantastic part of the country and I wish you and Des well with your hosting.

I am possibly in a similar situation to you in that I live in the main house on the property and rent out a separate cottage in the rear garden so, the fact remains my wife and I are sharing our property.

I have read your listing description and  although you do state down the bottom of listing resume you live downstairs, the property description at the head of the page does read as ' Entire Home'  which does give prospective guests the  impression they will be the only ones on the property.

If you want to avoid this I would suggest you change the property description to ' Entire guest suite'. What this will do Mandy is encourage the guest to at least ask what you define as a 'suite', and you can then say to them, " Well it's the entire top floor, the main residence as described, we just live in the separate granny flat"........and they then know exactly what they are going to get. 

I have had absolutely no resistance to that, I am coming up to 400 reviews and I have been fully booked since August last year with no more than 3 vacant nights per month.

I would give that a go Mandy, all the best.

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4  thank you so very much for your kind words and taking the time to respond in such a helpful way.

I certainly hear what you're saying, especially given you've had plenty of experience in this area.

May I ask, when you suggest  change entire house to entire guest suite, it doesn't appear to have that setting.

I must be missing it obviously:(

Under Property and guest's setting >Listing type

only options are: Entire place

Or private room or shared room.

Would you mind clarifying for me please.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Hi again Mandy,

You need to re-title your listing to reflect the status. You can change the way your listing is displayed by going to your listing editing page and under listing details scroll down to the property type section near the bottom of the page. 

Under,'which is most like your property' section click edit  and then click Guest suite!

Remember to  click 'Save Changes' before you leave your editing page.

Guest suite.png

This should solve your problem Mandy....all the best!

Cheers.........Rob

@Robin4 Hy again, thank you so much for clarifying how to change our listing. It really really helped and I feel like it's more in line with how we are hosting.  take care and happy Airbnbing  Rob lol

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

@Mandy339 

I totally agreed to @Robin4 suggestions.
 Do clarify and clearly announcements as “ Entire Guest Suites”  in the sections of the listing 

1. Title
  2. Description 
  3. Space
  4. Things guest should know
  5. House rules
  6. Every Airbnb message, to remind the guest and be clarified that the host are staying in the same location. To avoid of misunderstanding and assume the listing is accurate.

By the ways, I really love your listing!

Especially in the photos of you holding the red wine glass at font of the fire place!  
Thoughtful, stylish, simply the best! I ‘m surely many guests will book your listings and love’s your new home ❤️Thoughtful, stylish, simply the best! I ‘m surely many guests will book your listings and love’s your new home ❤️

Cheers ! @Mandy339 Well done !

Ways to go ! 

Happy Hosting 

@Dale711 hi there.

Thank you for taking the time,  I'm sure out of your busy day to help me out with my listing. Between you and Robin I've taken a lot of your advice listing and our updated listing is more in line with what we're offering. I'm very appreciative regarding your complement about our listing. Wishing you all the very best over there and I hope that covid isn't causing you too much concern. Stay safe and well.Mandy

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Keep in mind @Mandy339 that the two main points you want to convey quickly is that the accommodation  is private and autonomous