How small is too small?

Julie4231
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

How small is too small?

Hello Airbnb community, 

We are turning a master bedroom located in Vancouver BC into a self contained microstudio with its own entrance for familiy and friends. But we are thinking about putting it on Airbnb when it is empty. 

This room is only 110 sq ft (+ 40 sq ft private bathroom)... is that too small?

We are thinking in putting a double wall bed (only size that would fit), is that acceptable for guests? Or would a standard bed be better (but no space to move around) Also a little fridge and microwave... Do we need to add sink etc, to make a real kitchen ? 

Any advices and tips are more than welcome !!

Thanks

6 Replies 6
Julie4231
Level 1
Vancouver, Canada

@William810 Thank you for your input. We are currently renovating, is there some "must have" to think of for paying guests? 

@Julie4231  room of 110 sq feet = 10 m2 , bathroom 40 sq feet = 3,7 m2 right?

In Croatia, the technical minimum for STR licence for a studio apartment in the existing building is min 26 m2

room for one person is min 12 m2,

for two people is 17,5 m2, 

and for bathroom is not specified.

So, your room would fit 1 guest in a single bed. But you are not in Croatia... and even here hosts do not always obey all regulations 🙂

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Julie4231 

I think there is a market for your space.

You are effectively talking about a small hotel room with private bathroom.

I would probably put in a 3/4 size bed with drawers underneath such as is common on ships.

Nightstand with lamp is important.

People also usually want TV and WiFi.

I don’t think there’s enough space for microwave, refrigerator, etc. but a small fridge for drinks might be nice.

Actually a nautical theme with compact built-in furniture could be very nice FOR ONE GUEST.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julie4231  My guest bedroom is quite small. It only fits a single bed comfortably leaving enough space to move around. So I only host solo guests. I can tell you that this has been a wonderful experience- I love hosting solo travelers. And my guests love that room. (They also have a private bath, ensuite).

If you try to host 2 people with a bed big enough to accommodate that, you will also need bedside tables and reading lamps on both sides of the bed, so that will take up even more space.

When your family and friends come to stay, you can always have a spare foamie to throw in there. 

I would advise you to consider doing the same- set it up for 1 guest only. Keep the room quite simple, don't put in too much furniture. As long as there is space to move around, without closets or doors being partially blocked, it won't feel cramped.

Peruse books and blogs on working with small spaces. Use interesting wall paint treatments in light colors and cool window treatments as decor, as you won't have space for extraneous things.

If you are going to have a kitchenette in the space, you should either have a small sink for dishwashing, or do as a friend of mine who had a studio rental does- she just leaves a small plastic tote for guests to put the dirty dishes in and she washes them in her dishwasher. What you want to avoid is guests washing dishes in their bathroom sink and clogging it up with bits of food. 

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

My treehouse is 54 sq ft, @Julie4231 . The bed is 4 ft x 6 ft. 

There is (almost) no such thing as too small. The trick is absolute accuracy in the description.

@Julie4231 

My private guest bedroom is about that size, with a similar size private guest bathroom that is across the hall from the guest bedroom..... I hosted solo guests (mostly exchange students, pre-covid).  Our guest room has a built-in closet, super single bed with extra drawers underneath, a small desk & chair - perfect for one person. Henry and I thought about getting a larger bed to host up to 2 guests and quickly decided against it. We include info about the size of the room and bed in meters to make sure there is no confusion. (large vs. small is relative)

Considering the room size, I would think that you'd be able to fit a small fridge and microwave in there but leave it at that. I would vote against the sink and think of something similar to what @Sarah977  says her friend does. For the bed, we didn't want to have a side table or lamp taking up space so we got a bedframe+headboard similar to this. Our guests loved the headboard~

3.jpg