How to deal with guest that leave the property trashed and broken ?

How to deal with guest that leave the property trashed and broken ?

I'm renting out a full old classified cottage ,  heritage property.

The majority of our guests are lovely and appreciate the authencity.

However this year we had to deal with guests steeling  all weather  expensive down-duvets,  portable heating,  extension wires,  light bowls.

Also we have guests that really trash the place ,  we welcome dogs as I am a dog lover,  but the dog owners have no respect to were the dog is 

doing his thing or where he sleeps , bed, coach, sofa, etc..

It's also those people that leave the place in a filty state , that give you a bad  rating.

How can I deal with these situations .....

so far I never made a comment towards my guests , as they never come back anyway

As a host I get punished from Airbnb when you have a low rating, is there no protection at all for the hosts ?

1 Reply 1
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

The things you describe are inexcusable, particularly the stealing.

Airbnb cannot do much to protect you so you must protect yourself.

I suggest that you require guests to pay a refundable cleaning and security deposit when they book. When they check out you should refund them in cash unless they have done something wrong.

For dogs you could charge $50 and tell them that if they have cleaned up the yard and kept the dog off the furniture they will get a refund. Otherwise they must pay you to clean up for them.

You could also charge $500 to cover the cost of items they might break or steal.

They want the money so they will be more careful.

You should ALWAYS give them a polite but honest review so that other hosts can refuse them in the future.

This is how we hosts can protect each other.