How to encourage guests to submit reviews

Rachel1987
Level 1
Newmarket, Canada

How to encourage guests to submit reviews

I'm wondering what other hosts experiences are with guests posting reviews. I'm getting a lot of great text messages after my guests' stays saying they loved it and I ask them, at that time, if they'd post a review, which they say they will, but then they don't 😞

I've only gotten reviews from about half of my guests so far (although I'm a new host and have only had 9 stays). What do you do to encourage guests to submit a review?

Thank you in advance, 

Rachel

3 Replies 3
Don-And-Emily0
Level 10
Catskill, NY

Hi @Rachel1987 - we have had a couple of guests skip the review which is so disappointing because we work hard to make it a pleasant experience for our guests.

After the second “no review guest” we have opted to send the guests a message as they check out , explaining that we would very much appreciate them leaving a review as this will help us with future bookings. We also explain to them that it is a short process and it is reviewing our house, not airbnb qc.

Hope this helps. Best of luck!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

What motivates a guest to leave a review is fairly complicated.  Think about whenever you have left a review for a product or service.  It is usually related to being surprised by something being great,  better than expected or awful,  you are disappointed.  For positive reviews, the reviewer really wants to support the business or service and sometimes that desire to support is because you LIKED the business owner.  If you are a remote host it is a bit more difficult to establish rapport with guests so your being very responsive to guest communication goes a long way.  Your reviews reflect you are responsive.  If you look at the experience you had with the guests that did not leave reviews, is there anything that might be a common factor, for example, very little direct communication from you or to you or both?

When I read your listing description and the rules, I did not get a very warm feeling.  Seemed very authoritarian and stern.  Now I am sure ALL the rules are absolutely essential, but I wonder if there can be another style of communicating them.  First of all, you probably have a binder of what is needed to take care of your remote cabin so spelling them out in the listing might not be needed.  Suffice to say, the general rule is to follow the procedures and rules as outlined in the house binder.  

Also. you have some stunning outside pictures but you should increase your indoor pictures especially to feature the bunk bed or anything else you want to highlight.  Since you do not provide linens, you should be sure the pictures support that.

Good luck!

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Rachel1987 

I don't know if you meet and greet your guests, we do.  We have a fair amount of first time Guests.  Occasionally, we have had guests not review because Airbnb tells them they have 14 days to review. Problem is that most people can't remember a week ago. Or even 3 days ago.

My tactic is to do a review within 3 hours of check out.  Then, if  within 2-3 days the guest doesn't review, I send them a very nice message (Via Airbnb), explaining how important guest reviews are to helping build my business because hosts are effectively independent businesses. 

Usually, I get an apology and a very quick 5 star review.

If they  don't reply  consider yourself lucky that they preferred not to review vs posting a negative review😉