How to get a manual read

Laura5631
Level 2
Blacksburg, VA

How to get a manual read

I am currently renting out two of the three bedrooms in the house where I'm living.  I simply cannot get guests to read my house manual or to obey my no shoes rule.  I have floors that are over 100 years old so that's essential.  Only one guest seems to have been able to get into my house despite me sending out the manual with instructions a few days in advance.  It has stuff like WiFi, parking, which door to use and how to find the rooms.  The guest that just arrived walked into my room on the 2nd floor even though his is on the first floor and there are directions for that...with his shoes on.  Now I'll have to clean the floors again and a work call was interrupted.  

I'm afraid if I ignore the messages, I'll get horrible reviews, but if I'm at work (I'm a travel night-shift nurse but between gigs at the moment) or sleeping I need to make sure that they can actually get in and follow the bedroom assignments.  I'll be super pissed if someone is asleep in my bed or I have to do laundry/change the sheets at 8 in the morning when I get home.

No I cannot install specialty locks on my doors due to the antique doors/knobs/locks.  Yes I have a proper lock on the main entry door and all guest rooms can be locked from inside.  My door has, unfortunately, got only a chain lock on the inside of one of the two doors due to weird architecture.

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Laura5631 

Maybe label your room (sticker) ? :

Friendly:

Emiel1_0-1659653700151.png

or even more strict:

Emiel1_0-1659654084777.png

or extreme:

Emiel1_1-1659654180406.png

@Emiel1 The “Warning” sign is PRICELESS!  I wish I could post that one at work. Of course, I would be carted off to the loony bin.

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

Screenshot_20220805-151959_Airbnb.jpg

Deb216
Level 10
Newport, RI

@Laura5631, I have posted this picture of a sign that states "NO SHOES PLEASE" in my listing photos and also in my House Manual.  So far, so good.

Good luck!

Amanda660
Level 10
Auchenblae, United Kingdom

I have a sign like this in my entrance and I supply inexpensive spa style slippers to all guests.  C8D599F5-4C42-46A7-8CC1-C170D1260FBE.jpeg

I have a basket full of airplane socks/slippers and even shoe covers (I got those for the workmen and woman (yes, I have an amazing female electrician but she's literally the only woman ever)) right by the door.  Where do you hang the sign?  

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

In Thailand it's something we all do, Take your shoes off, 

We do say in our listing but I also tell them when they arrive 

Dont be afraid to tell people it's your house, your rules,

And it does keep the house cleaner

Amazon sells these packs of yoga socks pretty cheap.  They have the rubber gripping on the bottom, but they're definitely socks.  Maybe you could leave a basket of them out by the door, with a sign saying "no shoes, here's some yoga socks if you don't like going barefoot?"

Yup I have those, airplane slippers and socks in a basket right by the door. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

There are some countries (especially in Asia and Scandinavia) where wouldn't dream of wearing shoes in someone's house, but I'm not sure North America follows suit (I don't think so). And, with wood floors being seen 'hardwearing' (versus cream carpets = fragile), there's clearly an issue.

I suspect the only way you'll truly manage this is by having a conversation with your guests pre or on arrival because, when you check in on your own (I speak from personal experience) you forget the details, @Laura5631.

I have a *lot* of USA guests stay at my home (with wood floors) and I've yet to see one remove (or ask about) shoes.    

PS. You might want to take another shot of the loo with seat closed.