If a guest cancels a booking soon after book, will it count against me?

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

If a guest cancels a booking soon after book, will it count against me?

I just accepted a booking, and upon further (more careful) reading, the guests want to cancel because they worry it won't be a good fit for their pet.  

I have never had to accept a cancellation before.  Will it count against me?   

Will they need to pay a fee? 

Oh, dear. I believe I have the Strict Cancellation Policy turned on, and because this booking was going to be in 6 days, and not 14 days out, I think they will not get their money back. 

What would you do? 

Is there a way for me to change the cancellation policy if they have already booked?  

I am offering ways to make sure their pet will be OK (like not meeting us in person, or our pets in person). 

3 Replies 3
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Linda3345 No it doesn't count agains you as long as you don't do the cancelling. A host cancel incurs penalties. Just make sure you don't accept a request from the guest to cancel. It's entirely within the guest ability to go ahead and cancel it themselves. I wouldn't worry about the booking/cancel timeline and refunds for the guest. What you can do though, is offer to refund them for any nights you are able to rebook. You also have the ability to authorize a full refund once Airbnb receives the notice of cancellation. You can't change your cancellation policy and have it apply to past bookings. Perhaps you would be better to choose the flexible cancellation policy.

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

The guests have decided to try the stay, and we are taking extra steps to give their pet the space it needs. 

It does make me wonder: Do more hosts use the flexible cancellation policy, or the strict one?

I could see the flexible cancellation policy backfiring on the hosts, with relatively last-minute cancellations?   But do people think it is a good policy? 

@Linda3345 Personally, I have the strict policy. Flexible may be fine for certain listings where the odds of replacing a last minute cancellation are high, but that’s not me. You can try it on, but after you experience the first guest to cancel the weekend booking they made, the day before arrival,  because they don’t like the looks of the weather, you’ll switch back to strict. However, there isn’t much point in staying with strict if you’re going to break your policy to refund every guest who doesn’t read your listing thoroughly and realizes they made a mistake, after booking.