Instant Book not following booking rules

Sadie43
Level 1
Beacon, NY

Instant Book not following booking rules

I just had someone instant book a night during prep time. I have a 1 night prep time set before and after each booking because I clean myself and I have a job outside of hosting.  

I explained to the guest and asked them to cancel, which they did, but I also called airbnb while I was waiting for the guest to cancel. They are recommend turning off instant book. It doesn't make sense to me, but the airbnb rep I spoke with seems to be saying my booking rules may not be followed during instant booking. I'm not sure I believe them. I've been pretty booked out since we opened in August and noone else has been able to book during prep time. 

What do you all think? Turn off instant book or was this a weird glitch that won't be repeated?

Thank you.

13 Replies 13
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Sadie43 Instant book glitches (and many other types) are a common thing on this platform. Also, CS reps know very little of Airbnb. I would leave IB on, but be prepared to deal with weird things happening. Check your settings daily for spontaneous changes, and take screenshots to back you up if needed. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Sadie43 I have had situations where guests have been able to book blocked dates which have been really awkward. I was told it was more of a calendar issue than an IB issue, but its kind of chicken and egg situation. I set my IB filters to the highest possible levels and had turned it off temporarily when I was really having issues. It does seem to cut down on bookings to have IB off. I now check my calendar religiously before accepting any bookings and triple check if a guest is able to successfully book.

@Laura2592 @Sadie43 I’ve had an on again off again relationship with IB. Against my better judgment I Recently turned it on again. I’ve always been consistent with checking all the requirement boxes, and did so again this time. Imagine my surprise (NOT) when an IB rolls in from a new member no reviews no profile photo/info. Nothing. Went to check my settings and sure enough all had been unchecked. This is absolutely a bug/glitch. I’ve also had my check in time keep reverting to flexible, and it was proven to be related to making changes to booking settings, which is something I do frequently. Thus, I also check ALL settings daily, as well as scrutinize bookings closely, pricing etc. etc. it’s exhausting!!

Because these things happen with such frequency, and because they ALWAYS favor Airbnb or the guest, and not the host, I 100 percent believe they do it on purpose. Many hosts will just ‘suck it up’ and eat whatever the consequence may be, rather than fight. 

@Colleen253 my husband says they just allow folks to book blocked dates because they can-- our settings mean nothing if there is money to be made. He's half joking but I honestly think there may be truth to this. 

@Laura2592  TRUTH. 

Sadie43
Level 1
Beacon, NY

I truly appreciate all of your for responding. I had thought I was going crazy with some of the bookings that happened, not just this one, but I was new user. Until this recent on a prep day, I had no proof. 

I will take all of your advice and check settings frequently, etc. We've also been talking about getting a 2nd set of all linens so we could turn it around same day, which would decrease the stress if it happened even accidentally.

Too bad airbnb is so strongly favoring guests over hosts.

@Sadie43 “Too bad airbnb is so strongly favoring guests over hosts.”

Guests bring in more money for Airbnb.

Sadie,

I just had the same problem.  Ruchelle L from Community Support was a great help.  Under advance notice, make sure you do not have the block for instant book checked.  Remove and this should correct this from happening.

@Sadie43 Just checking if you checked your advance notice screen yet.  This will not let anyone book unless the give you the one night prep. time.

@Sadie43  You should always have a second set of linens for every bed in your property -- what would you do if a guest ruined your linens (torn, stained, etc.) and you had another guest arriving?  Running to the store is not always an option.  While I do not allow same day departure/arrivals, I have always had a second set available, and it has saved my housekeeper and myself time in turn arounds even when we have several days between guests.

@Sadie43  You should always have a second set of linens regardless. A female guest might have an accident during her period and need to change the sheets, your washing machine or dryer could go on the blink, you might find stains on the linens that require special treatment to get out, whatever.

Max144
Level 10
Bongaree, Australia

I have about 3 sets and rarely need them but i did have a guest vomit in the sheets one night and had to do quick change.

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Sadie43. Consider changing your notice in advance required to two (2) days. That effectively in AIrbnb language means a 24 hour notice. If I remember from historical posts, that someone can otherwise book from near midnight in the Timezone and check in the next day. That is technically two dates/days. Since I’ve changed my “notice in advance” to two days, the guest arriving today syndrome doesn’t happen. That two day notice requirement for my settings also allows  a guest to send a request to book, even with IB. The other option is to also mark two days preparation needed. If looking at my settings, you will see my calendar is closed by default. I open my calendar a few months ahead at a time to suit my needs. This way I also have more flexibility and guests are less likely to cancel, except for Covid19. 

is5B77D72D-3076-425C-BC1B-5B0583393E1A.jpeg0AFF33C0-9EC2-4D2A-BF8C-7C371A8408B3.jpeg