Is there any way to tweak the "Entire House" and clarify that?

Answered!
Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Is there any way to tweak the "Entire House" and clarify that?

Our rental is the entire main part of our home, 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, kitchen, living, dining room, deck, access to 8 acres woods, and a pond. In the options, I have checked "Entire House", but then under that it lists "You'll have the entire place to yourself."  

This is true, But, we live in a separate apartment downstairs, connected to the main house, but there are no common areas. We do not even need to see or interact with our guests unless they wish. 

I do have this listed in the description, but it turns out now that a couple of people have missed that. I don't want to over-emphasize this, but I am also not trying to hide it. I think the "Entire House" part is a little mis-leading. 

Is there a ways to personalize it? 

I think this is my link:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50853520?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_1635341372_K6OYTkL...

1 Best Answer
Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I have the exact same situation. However, we are not always there as our main house is 1/2 hour away. We have a separate entrance and other than introducing ourselves should we see them, they would never sense our presence.

After booking I communicate “ please leave room for my car as I may be staying in the separate downstairs unit.”

after 12 years I have never had a complaint and only 1 cancellation which I suspected from the beginning could have been a party attempt. 

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Linda3345 If there are no shared spaces, then guests have the entire place to themselves. There are of course myriad ways spaces can be configured. It's really up to the host to be deadly specific and accurate in explaining it in the description and up to guests to avail themselves of the info. It also helps to explain things in photos, and take advantage of the use of captions to further explain. Do you show a photo of your separate part of the building and explain 'this is where we live'? 

You might also confirm at booking "just want to make sure you've read the listing description thoroughly and understand that we live on site in an attached but completely separate apartment...."

Those are 2 really good points, that I think seem very reasonable. Thank you. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

If I were you I would set your listing up as an apartment or guest suite. It is true that it is an "entire place all to yourselves" but it is not an entire home. It is a duplex type arrangement and it is very likely that guest will see and hear other people (you.) Be very clear about this. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Linda3345 I try to book only places where the owners are not on site when I am. I sometimes feel overwhelmed by very chatty hosts. I don't mind meeting for a key drop off, but prefer not to socialize after 99% of the time. So I would say that it is a "duplex"  to get across the idea that you will be on site when guests are. You can then find the best fit for guests who are open to having owners present. 

AND it may cut down on people booking to throw parties! Bonus. 

I know what you mean about chatty hosts, because I've run into that myself as a guest.  So far, we have experimented with personally greeting the guests (we tried that twice), and decided that we will Not greet in person, and will only meet the people if they mention it, and seem like they want that. 

I'm not going to say it's a duplex, because the rental is about 2200 sq. ft. and the apartment only 900, so not at all even. 

We are pretty careful, so that I don't think they hear us at all. We are really taking pains while people are in the house, so they do not notice us.

But I think I will do something to add an outdoor photo to the listing,  and mark the portion where we live. Sometimes, photos get more attention. 

Because we do live there, I also feel I need to tell the guests when we are Not going to be on the premises when they are, which also happens. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda3345  While you do explain the living situation in your listing info, I would suggest you make it a lot more prominent.

I would make it the very first line of your listing description- "Please note:  This is a host-occupied property. The guest space is the main part of the house and we live in the downstairs apartment. There are no shared areas with us, apart from the outdoors. We respect our guests' privacy, and while we are available to assist you should you require anything, we keep to ourselves otherwise, although of course we are open to chatting with guests should they indicate they would like that."

It will be far better for you to have guests who want total privacy, i.e. no one else around, not book or send you requests because they read that upfront, than to have them arrive and have their nose bent out of shape when they realize that, horror of horrors, they might actually see their hosts out in the yard. And as others mentioned, it discourages those who think they'll be able to sneak in more people or throw a party.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda3345 "Because we do live there, I also feel I need to tell the guests when we are Not going to be on the premises when they are, which also happens. "

I would be a bit circumspect with that. You have an advantage as on-site hosts in that guests will not be able to sneak in extra people or throw a party. You don't want to negate that.

Obviously if you are going to be out of town when guests check in, you would probably want to let them know that, but I wouldn't mention it until the day before check-in, and I wouldn't be forthcoming about how long you'll be gone. For instance, if you are going to be away for a few days, it's enough to say, "We're going to go visit our son and his family tomorrow morning. We may come back in the evening, or we might stay a few days, we're just going to play it by ear.  Of course if you need to reach us, we have our phones at hand".

What you want to avoid is the guests thinking, "Oh cool, they'll be gone for 3 days, lets invite Joe  and the gang over." Let them think you could drive back in at any time. If you have a quiet older couple there, who you feel confident wouldn't do anything like that, of course use your judgement, and you might want to let them know exactly when you plan to be back.

Basha0
Level 10
Penngrove, CA

I have the exact same situation. However, we are not always there as our main house is 1/2 hour away. We have a separate entrance and other than introducing ourselves should we see them, they would never sense our presence.

After booking I communicate “ please leave room for my car as I may be staying in the separate downstairs unit.”

after 12 years I have never had a complaint and only 1 cancellation which I suspected from the beginning could have been a party attempt. 

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Thank you; that is a helpful way to mention the possibility that you will be there. I am also not always here when guests are here. If I am not going to be here, I am letting them know just the day or so before, and letting them know about my back-up host, and that I am always available via messaging. That way, there is not too much time to plan any shenanigans!  I am getting mostly family groups, though, so not parties any way.