Leaving lights on at guesthouse

Jennifer3217
Level 2
Shallotte, NC

Leaving lights on at guesthouse

Hi, I saw quite a few posts about asking people to conserve energy in a house rule, but I have a bit of a different scenario. I have someone staying in my guesthouse, which is behind my house. This is the second guest that has left flood lights on and I don’t want them shining into two of my neighbors houses, nor mine. Can I simply remind them to turn them off or is that too intrusive and micro managing? 

3 Replies 3
Anna11069
Level 1
Canterbury, New Zealand

Can you set it on a timer so it goes off after a couple of minutes? We have a remote and have set ours to go off after a couple of minutes. Enough time for them coming and going. We have the remote so they can't change it LOL.

@Jennifer3217 @Anna11069 

Yup! You will have to set it up on a timer or some system that you can control. It will be an ongoing battle for you.  We have put all our outdoor lights in timers and advise guests not to touch them.  One one guest has.  
Bathroom fans left on were my nemesis living in the the unit below.   The low sound drove me crazy. 
We changed to a timer method and this has saved my sanity.  

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Jennifer3217   We changed all of our outdoor lights to sensors that come on when approached and stay on for a set number of minutes.   If your lights are shining into your neighbor's properties, you should also consider timers or redirection of the lights.  If there is a light at the door of the guesthouse, change the bulb to an LED that has enough power to light up the lock, but not so much as to illuminate the neighborhood.