Long-Term Airbnb (unhosted home sharing)

Answered!

Long-Term Airbnb (unhosted home sharing)

Hi, all. I am hoping to start doing long-term airbnb and don't find any information on this site about that. Does airbnb allow this? Can anyone point me in the right direction for resources on this? I am trying to find out what the rules/regulations are and how to get started. Thank you! Kristen 

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kristen451  It's allowed, but not recommended. There are none of the safeguards for a host on Airbnb that a landlord would want in place for a tenant.

In most jurisdictions a person gains tenant rights after a month. You will then have a nightmare trying to get them out if they stop paying the rent (Airbnb only  guarantees the first month's payment) or prove objectionable.

Airbnb doesn't take a real security deposit from guests. And you have no guarantee Airbnb will cover any damages. They also do not properly vet guests.

If you want to rent long term, you should find another venue to advertise it on, and do  as landlords have always done- take a real security deposit, ask for references, work history, current employment, full ID, interview prospective tenants, have a legal lease, etc.

And I'm confused by what you refer to as "unhosted home-sharing." Normally a home-share is a room in the host's home where the host also lives aand guests may share some common spaces, like the kitchen, with the host.

Are you talking about renting out multiple rooms to unrelated guests in a home you don't live in? Like a hostel-type situation?

View Best Answer in original post

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kristen451  It's allowed, but not recommended. There are none of the safeguards for a host on Airbnb that a landlord would want in place for a tenant.

In most jurisdictions a person gains tenant rights after a month. You will then have a nightmare trying to get them out if they stop paying the rent (Airbnb only  guarantees the first month's payment) or prove objectionable.

Airbnb doesn't take a real security deposit from guests. And you have no guarantee Airbnb will cover any damages. They also do not properly vet guests.

If you want to rent long term, you should find another venue to advertise it on, and do  as landlords have always done- take a real security deposit, ask for references, work history, current employment, full ID, interview prospective tenants, have a legal lease, etc.

And I'm confused by what you refer to as "unhosted home-sharing." Normally a home-share is a room in the host's home where the host also lives aand guests may share some common spaces, like the kitchen, with the host.

Are you talking about renting out multiple rooms to unrelated guests in a home you don't live in? Like a hostel-type situation?

Sarah!  Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! This was super helpful and much appreciated. 🙂

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Kristen451 

You can start here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2729/how-do-i-get-started-with-longer-stays

Search for more in the HELP or in this community with: "long term stay"

If still questions feel free to ask.