Minimum stays and cancelation policy

Minimum stays and cancelation policy

Hello everyone!

It's so great to be able to get advice from experienced hosts. 

I've been up and running for about 1 week. Had 2 separate stays and love it. It's a strange but wonderful feeling to have people around. 

1. I am wondering about minimum stays. What is a good number? What are the pros and cons? 

2. I am also wondering about a good cancelation option. I chose 5 days before and they get a refund. I don't want to lose possible clients because guest cancels last minute and that reserved time is now kind of dead. Any business thoughts?

3. And is there a way to keep my listing at the top 5 in search results?

And if you have any other advice on my listing, I would totally appreciate it.

Many thanks!!!

Christine

8 Replies 8
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christine2987 Answering in order

1) we have a 3 day minimum just because we don't want to be cleaning everyday. It depends on your market though as to what makes sense.

2) Strict policy for us as its hard to fit last minute cancellations

3) Turn Instant Book on and getting lots of reservations keeps you high in the search ranking

Wonderful! Thank you so much for your advice. Wishing you all the best!

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

Hi @Christine2987 

@Mike-And-Jane0 gave you good advice, but I would caution you to be careful with Instant Booking, especially as a new host. Be sure to set your IB requirements on the stricter side.

You can require verified ID, recommendations from other hosts (actually, only 1 lets them book, which is kind of ridiculous), and a pre-booking message.  

If they don't have that they'll have to send a booking request. This lets you get a sense of who's coming and will be sharing your space with you. Kind of important, I think. 

Good luck! Kia

Thanks Kia! Good advice. 

My IB requirements are (for now): ID and Reviews. I'm alone so if I get the "red flag" senses then I'll get someone to stay with me for a dual protection, and a bat by the bedside. 

Christine : )

Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

Hi @Christine2987 welcome to hosting. As a relatively new host, we rely on our local mentor (a neighbour who has been hosting several years) for advice, guidance and hands on experience. 

When we started we were advised the following;

a) you will figure out your minimum stay and what you are comfortable with. We have set a 3 night minimum stay and lucky us our average stay is 9 nights

b) we have a moderate cancellation policy and to date (other than when covid hit) we haven’t had cancellations

c) never use Instant book (our mentors had immediate problems/issues) especially a new host. 

d) never accept third party bookings (asking for problems)

e) screen newbies (first time AirBnb guests with no reviews) and ask lots questions of them

f) don’t accept “locals” or be very careful to screen out potential parties 

g) offer a great product at a fair price and you will find yourself on top with of the search results

Have fun and enjoy, my main advice and takeaway from our mentor is to be cautious and always trust your gut or intuition when pre-screening potential guests. 

Glenn & Andrea

Mill Bay Cottage, Mill Bay, BC, Canada

#millbaycottagerental 

Thanks for all the great advice! Super helpful. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Christine2987 As a shared home host you don't need to worry so much about parties etc. If I were you I would limit your maximum stay as if you don't you might end up with a guest you just don't gell with which could be awkward for a several week stay! Also. lots of shorter stays will get more reviews.

Yes, I was just wondering about max stays. I changed it to 18 days max. I am currently hosting a wonderful couple from Germany. Nicest people ever! And they wanted to extend their stay to 15 nights cause they're visiting their son who lives a block away. 

So far, I'm having the best experience, but I know it won't always be so rosy. 

Really appreciating all these great tips!!! 

Thanks again @Mike-And-Jane0