Month long offers

Answered!

Month long offers

I am brand new and my first two inquiries are about long term stays. One needs 3-6 months and the other wants to rent for June and July.  This is much more complicated that the accept/decline reply form covers. I am interested in the first one that would stay 3-6 months in the winter, as I live on the lake and don't expect much action till April.  But the June/July one is my busy season so not so exciting. Any suggestions would be welcome. Connie

1 Best Answer
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Connie423 you don't say where you are but have you considered the legal position of long term lets without the appropriate contract?

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Connie423 depending on your state you will probably create a tenancy with a long term stay. This, together with no contract or deposit through Airbnb, means its a high risk plan to take long term guests. 

You are right, I should have a contract to make sure everything is clear.  Thanks for your thoughts. Connie

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Connie423 you don't say where you are but have you considered the legal position of long term lets without the appropriate contract?

I am in Indiana, USA.  The laws are really different but checking with an attorney never hurts.  Thanks for your thoughts. Connie

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Connie423 

I see that one could book 28 nights in November for $3700. That is a very attractive price if there are not going to be too many guests.

You are probably being approached by discount-hunters who may have other tricks up their sleeves. This is common with new listings.

I would suggest that you tell the 3-6 month applicant that you don’t accept bookings for more than 28 days at a time because of insurance policy rules.

My USAA insurance doesn’t cover guests for more than 28 days.

You can tell them that after they have been there for two weeks you can both decide if it would be a good idea to extend their stay with a private rental contract which would not include Airbnb fees.

You will probably know if you want them to stay within a few days. If they do stay you can block your calendar for the length of their occupancy.

You should collect first month, last month and a security deposit up front and have a written lease agreement.

As for the June-July application, I wouldn’t accept a prime season booking that far in advance. They would be getting a huge discount and you should have no problem filling those dates at the full price if you wait.

I had people who booked long stays to get the big discounts, then invented reasons to leave early and demanded discounts at the regular rate, which basically allowed them to stay for two weeks for free.

I think you have a beautiful place and you should have no difficulty in renting it at a competitive price.

Good luck—