Critique my listing - Sylvia in St. Petersberg

Sylvia664
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

Critique my listing - Sylvia in St. Petersberg

aec0ee76-99cb-4d93-83d0-16e2ca2e0a73.jpeg

Hello all! I am a new host only 3 weeks now and would love some honest feed back from you guys. Take a look at my listing and let me know your thoughts. Thanks in advance.

www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/15207430?source_impression_id=p3_1628443746_AIIfywOgog9%2FKQbr 

11 Replies 11
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Sylvia664 

Your listing looks great.

At first glance i have two comments:

- Security deposit seems to be very low (Euro 212,-)

- Sleeping Arrangements ("places for sleeping") : pictures do not match with description.

Thank you I will work on these things.

In american dollars is $250 is that too low?

Jenny838
Level 5
Arizona, United States

@Sylvia664 you have a beautiful space! One thing I noticed was your house rules were hard to read because they all ran together. In your listing it says you can go bare and enjoy the pool without anyone bothering  you, yet your rules state the pool is regularly maintained and the cleaners come every Thursday. Many of my guests do not bother to read the house rules and I assume yours don’t either. I would hate to have an embarrassing moment, for potentially several people, arise due to the guests lack of reading. 

I will definitely work on this, thanks for the input.

Michelle1851
Level 10
Littleton, CO

Looking at your listing which looks beautiful by the way, things I would like as a guest are night stands and bedside lights, and coasters, chargers.  So many places I've stayed have been pretty but somewhat empty, missing the hominess.  Your kitchen looks nice, but I would recommend flowers or fruit on the counter, something to make it look enticing.   I'm looking at your listing as a guest, not a host,  I haven't been a host long enough to giving hosting advice.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sylvia664 Is your listing legal in ST Petes?

I dont understand, can you elaborate?

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Sylvia664!  Here is where you can elaborate on @Mike-And-Jane0's comment:

https://www.buildyourbnb.com/us-airbnb-and-short-term-rental-regulations/st-petersburg

As to your listing - it's really lovely.  Some notes:

The title says Sunshine Skyway AND downtown - in my experience the two are not close to one another, so which is it?

I don't think your nightly fee is high enough although I notice you charge a little more after a certain number of guests.  Keep an eye on your rates because lower rates attract lower quality guests.

Your pictures are really good except the one with the toilet seat up.  That just drives me crazy.  No one wants to see that.

$250 is not enough of a "security deposit" - it should be $500.  And just fyi, there isn't really a security deposit.  Airbnb doesn't hold that money back at all, and if you have a condition that requires you to ask the guest for some or all of that deposit, they can refuse.  That's why your rates should be high enough to cover unexpected damage.

You should have a minimum night stay of two or three nights.  One-night stays can attract partiers and in general they're not worth it.

As a new host you might want to consider blocking a day before and after each reservation, just to make sure you have time to inspect the property between guests and get it cleaned.  If you do discover damage, you have to reach out to both the guest and Airbnb before the next guest checks in, and same-day bookings rarely allow that.

All of this might be moot after you read St. Pete's short-term rental regulations...

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Glad I'm not the only one @Ann72 who notices and get annoyed about those toilet seat photographs, wrinkled bedcovers also get on my nerves!

One really notices those titbits in Real Estate advertising in the people's homes one least expects it!!

@Sylvia664, Welcome to ABB & ABB CC from over in New Zealand & wishing you all the best.

A heads up, when replying to people here in CC add the @ in front of people's names who you are conversing with so they know you are answering them.

I'm very much missing outdoor swimming as it's winter in NZ and your swimming pool looks very inviting.

Remember Rome was not built in a day and when starting out, factor into account your first few Guests will be getting a discounted rate.

There's much very helpful info here in CC, use the searchbox and related keywords to.

Sylvia664
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

Thank you this is helpful!