New Host in Co Waterford, Ireland

Mary-Cait0
Level 1
County Wexford, Ireland

New Host in Co Waterford, Ireland

Hi everyone,

I am planning to start hosting in June of this year and am wondering are there any other hosts local to me in Co Waterford that could give me some advice on the rules in Ireland.

Looking for information specifically on insurance/taxes/planning rules etc for an ensuite bedroom in my main residence near the coast. Any other advice would be much appreciated!

Many thanks.

Mary-Cait

2 Replies 2
Emilie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Mary-Cait0, how are you doing ? 

What an exciting journey you're starting on! Since the Community Center is a global space, it might be worth having a look at local Host Clubs near you. There are a few around Ireland, and it might be good to connect with local Hosts who could tell you more about regulations as well as other specifics to your area.

Have a lovely weekend and take care 🙂 

Emilie

-----

Merci de jeter un oeil aux Principes du Community Center/ Please follow the Community Guidelines

Michael-O-Reilly0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Meenderry, Ireland

hi @Mary-Cait0 , here is some information regarding hosting in Ireland. Currently, certain areas in Ireland are deemed RPZ (rent pressure zones), and if your listing is within an RPZ zone you will have to follow the regulations set out for these areas, You can find out if your proposed listing is in an RPZ by opening the following link and inputting your Eircode. 

https://www.rtb.ie/calculator/rpz-legacy.

These regulations only apply to hosts with a short-term let in a Rent Pressure Zone.

Undet these regulations

• ‘Short-term letting’ is defined as the letting of a house or apartment, or part of a house or apartment, for any period not exceeding 14 days.
  • If you share a spare room or rooms in your own home (your ‘Principal Primary Residence’ or ‘PPR’), you can do so all year round but you must register with your local authority annually.
  • If you share your entire PPR while you are away, you can do so for up to 90 days of the year, but you must notify your local authority.
  • If you share your entire PPR for more than 90 days of the year, you must apply for a change of use planning permission from your local authority.
  • If you own a property that is not your PPR, and you use it for short-term letting, you must apply for a change of use planning permission from your local authority.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/renting_your_property_for_sh...

Please note these regulations are subject to change and it would be advisable to check with your local authority regarding planning regulations for your area.

Regarding your question about insurance, Airbnb does offer protection for hosts  

If your place or belongings are ever damaged by a guest during an Airbnb stay, AirCover offers you 1 million dollars in damage protection, please click on the link for more details about  Aircover

https://youtu.be/_1FXx2G1Gtg.

You can also take out personal insurance for your listing and I would advise you to contact insurance companies regarding this, as they can advise you professionally about the best policy for your requirement.

Also regarding taxes, any income you make from short rental will have to be declared to revenue each year.