New Host- second guests brought a dog and we have a no dog policy

Lindsay410
Level 2
Whistler, Canada

New Host- second guests brought a dog and we have a no dog policy

Hello, first time hosters! We are managing a house for our landlord (we live in a suite over the garage) and the second guests we have brought a small dog that violates the policy. The owners were strict about no dogs being allowed.

Not sure what we can do as we understand that initial reviews are very important. Seems as though AirBnb has a no security deposit policy? Or did we miss something when adding the listing? Either way we don't have any extra deposit.

Guests have already asked for a late check out which we honored because we are hoping for good reviews.

Am I the only one who thinks this is far too much like an episode of Black Mirror where you're begging to be liked and try to avoid getting downvoted?

How can we enforce the no dog policy while still being able to move up the ranks for our listing? 

Thanks!

4 Replies 4
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Lindsay410 

You really can’t let people use the unfair review system to hold you hostage.

The worst offenders know very well how to do this and will use it to extort refunds, flagrantly violate house rules, and abuse you personally.

The key is prevention.

That can start with your review of these rule-breaking guests. Maybe they were ignorant of the rules because they didn’t bother to read them. Or anything else. Tough Tortillas.

I would mention in my review that they violated the strict no-dog policy and that this will not be tolerated again. Guests who show up with unauthorized pets will not be allowed to check in until they have made other arrangements for their animals.

Unfortunately you are required to accept service animals but it’s better not to mention that, although professional cheaters already know and come prepared with fake documentation.

As for the Airbnb security deposit— The Tooth Fairy is in charge of that and you’re lucky if you can get a dime out of her. (There is no security deposit.)

You can be polite, apologetic, but firm about refusing to allow people to bring dogs with them. It’s not your fault. The owner is deathly allergic and will fire you if he gets a dog hair up his nose. Or maybe have to be hospitalized, and they wouldn’t want to pay for that, would they?

Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

@Lindsay410 In my welcoming mail after the Geurts have booked I mention my strict rules again in a playfull way. And again in a mail 24 hours before the arrive. And i never have any problems. 😀

Groetjes Katja
Katja202
Level 10
Ruinen, Netherlands

Sorry stupid spell check thingy 

Groetjes Katja
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Lindsay410 if the stay is almost over I would just use the review to state what happened. 

"So and so were pleasant guests. However they had trouble following house rules and brought a dog to our no pets listing. Additional clean up was needed to remove pet hair for the next guests.  We cannot recommend this guest to hosts who do not allow pets."

Then rate under 3 in each category and "would not host again" so they can't book with you in the future. 

Make sure your house rules address what happens if a guest has a pet. Will they be asked to leave? Charged a fee? ABB customer service will defer to your house rules if you need assistance, so make them clear. 

Ask in your check in message "Hi guest-- thanks for booking with us! Just making sure you understood a few things about the space. We are not pet friendly, and guests who arrive with pets will be asked to leave/will not be eligible for refunds, so please leave your furry (or feathered) friends at home."

We are pet friendly but still put limits on the number of pets and how many people and pets can stay at once. Guests always think this is a suggestion not a rule, so repeat it often and stick to the consequences you have outlined.