New Host

Richard2326
Level 2
Ipswich, United Kingdom

New Host

Hi

We’re New to hosting so some tips and advice would be appreciated.

What would be the standard discount on weekly & 30+ hosting?

would we be expected to clean the property during a 30+ stay?

Any other starting up tips and little things we could have missed would be great

thanks

Richard

5 Replies 5
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Richard2326 

My advice regarding stays in excess of 28 days is Don’t do it.

Airbnb do not offer adequate protection for long-term bookings.

Your local regulations might create problems also. Here in Arkansas, a “guest” becomes a “tenant” after 29 days and a number of unpleasant laws come into effect.

If you want to do longer term rentals it would be advisable to require a legal lease agreement with first month/last month/security deposit paid in advance.

You may provide housekeeping services if you like but it’s not required.

The discounts recommended by Airbnb are generally absurdly excessive and can lead to serious problems.

Some guests are clever enough to calculate that a month at a discount is cheaper than two weeks, book for a month, leave early with a manufactured excuse, and demand a refund.

We offer a 10% discount for a week or more and don’t accept bookings for more than 28 days.

Good luck, and be aware that certain undesirable guests are always shopping for new listings, hoping to take advantage of unwary hosts.

Brilliant Thanks Brian

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Richard2326 

I agree with @Brian2036  and I do offer light cleaning during 10+ nights stays just to be able to check if everything is OK and to pick up dirty and give fresh towels.

For example, the last time I came to check and clean I noticed our entrance door is not closing properly, our digital lock doesn't lock till the end and the batteries in our digital lock are nearly dead. Guests didn't notice and didn't tell anything. What happened is that a piece of paper was stuck on the doorstep preventing the door to close and the digital lock to lock itself which caused batteries to die. Our apartment was unlocked for who knows how many days.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you look at the Airbnb help website and useful guides on this community @Richard2326 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD