New Listing Critique - Minneapolis MN

Answered!
Angela2855
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

New Listing Critique - Minneapolis MN

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/595573793751604214?preview_for_ml=true&source_impression_id=p3_16493331...

Hello, I'm Angela

I'm open to feed back on this listing. Some concerns:

1. Verifying people are from out of town vs, local. I want to offer longer stays to people from out of town...not local.

2. Overall look and communication of the listing.

3. House rules

Thank you for looking. 

IMG_2539.jpg

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Angela2855 

Your listing is very nice and your photos are pretty decent (except for a few, which are out of focus) but I feel like there are too many, especially of the kitchen and you could cut these down a bit.

Your description is detailed and I think fairly clear, but under 'other things to note' you have described the location, which is not really the right place. I would put this information in the 'where you'll be' section and maybe also highlight it in the general description. The 'other things to note' is for particular things that guests should be aware of, that you want to highlight, to avoid misunderstandings etc. This could be about pets, stairs, traffic noise etc. In your case, I might highlight that there is no washing machine, especially as you mentioned you are planning to accept longer stays. Make sure to tell guests where they can find laundry facilities locally.

Maybe I am missing something, but I can't see from the listing whether the bathroom is shared or if the guest has their own bathroom.

I wouldn't list distances as 'half a block' away as that is a bit vague. I would put distances in feet/miles as well as approximate walking/driving distance, e.g. I say that the underground station is about a six minute walk or 0.3 miles away. It might be useful to include distances to/from the airport, train station etc. if guests are coming from afar. 

Are you going to block a night in-between stays, as I noticed your check out is at 9am but your check in is anytime after 10am? That means you could just have one hour to do the turnaround, which I'm guessing is not enough. Also, perhaps it's normal in your neck of the woods (check out the local competition) but 9am seems very early to check out. Are you not going to have a cut off time for check in? I can see you have self check in, but if your guests have any problems, e.g. they get lost, can't open the door, can't find something, they could be calling you at all hours. Do you really want strangers checking into your own home while you are asleep? I certainly wouldn't risk it, especially as it sounds like you are a woman living alone. Maybe I am being paranoid, but that sounds dangerous to me. I want to meet anyone who is going to stay in my home and that is why I always do an in person check in.

The house rules look fine to me. You may find that other issues come up but you can always add to them if needed, e.g. do you expect guests to pay for damages/breakages?

By the way, why do you want to only host out of town guests for longer stays? 

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Angela2855 

Your listing is very nice and your photos are pretty decent (except for a few, which are out of focus) but I feel like there are too many, especially of the kitchen and you could cut these down a bit.

Your description is detailed and I think fairly clear, but under 'other things to note' you have described the location, which is not really the right place. I would put this information in the 'where you'll be' section and maybe also highlight it in the general description. The 'other things to note' is for particular things that guests should be aware of, that you want to highlight, to avoid misunderstandings etc. This could be about pets, stairs, traffic noise etc. In your case, I might highlight that there is no washing machine, especially as you mentioned you are planning to accept longer stays. Make sure to tell guests where they can find laundry facilities locally.

Maybe I am missing something, but I can't see from the listing whether the bathroom is shared or if the guest has their own bathroom.

I wouldn't list distances as 'half a block' away as that is a bit vague. I would put distances in feet/miles as well as approximate walking/driving distance, e.g. I say that the underground station is about a six minute walk or 0.3 miles away. It might be useful to include distances to/from the airport, train station etc. if guests are coming from afar. 

Are you going to block a night in-between stays, as I noticed your check out is at 9am but your check in is anytime after 10am? That means you could just have one hour to do the turnaround, which I'm guessing is not enough. Also, perhaps it's normal in your neck of the woods (check out the local competition) but 9am seems very early to check out. Are you not going to have a cut off time for check in? I can see you have self check in, but if your guests have any problems, e.g. they get lost, can't open the door, can't find something, they could be calling you at all hours. Do you really want strangers checking into your own home while you are asleep? I certainly wouldn't risk it, especially as it sounds like you are a woman living alone. Maybe I am being paranoid, but that sounds dangerous to me. I want to meet anyone who is going to stay in my home and that is why I always do an in person check in.

The house rules look fine to me. You may find that other issues come up but you can always add to them if needed, e.g. do you expect guests to pay for damages/breakages?

By the way, why do you want to only host out of town guests for longer stays? 

@Huma0 

Thank you for this detailed feedback.  Wow, you touched on every point  I was uncertain about.  This really provides clarity.  I'm looking forward to making those changes.  I really appreciate your time.

Warmest regards,

Angela

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Angela2855 

You are very welcome. Your listing looks lovely and I am sure you will do well!

@Huma0 

Just completed an all over edit. This won't be the last.  Unfortunately, the blurry photos will have to due for now.  After buying the new iPhone I promptly broke one of the lenses. Rats.  

Thank you for the praise. You're very generous.