New host - when to reject a request

New host - when to reject a request

How should I respond to this guest?

I'm a new host (just listed my first property 5 days ago) and have been fortunate enough to receive many bookings in my first 5 days. I have just received the following request and message and became a little suspicious, but perhaps it's just because I'm inexperienced.  The guest has -0- reviews, but I've accepted requests from others with -0- reviews. 

Good evening, I am messaging you with regards to whether individuals under the age of 25 can rent your properties. We are a group of 8 men from the      University of XXXXX. We do not drink, smoke, gamble, or have any parties of the sort. Please let me know if you allow for people under 25 to book with your property.

Thank you for your feedback and wisdom!

19 Replies 19
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

Be careful. We recently had almost the same request (although they didn't say they were under 25). We thought it was a bit suspicious, but it was for good money, and they claimed to be "professionals". And it was our first true awakening, so we hadn't asked enough questions. 

They ended up completely trashing the house, smoking heavily, and a shisha, too (expressly forbidden in our house rules) , spilling beer and alcohol all over everything... It cost us nearly 1000€ to clean it all up, and days worth of work. And Airbnb " Host guarantee", well, you can forget that. 

So, if you want the booking, start asking all kinds of questions, list all of your house rules in the messaging system, and add severe penalties for violating them, and force them to expressly agree to all if it before allowing them to book. 

Seriously. Better to scare them away before you get hammered. But if they're honest and legitimate, they won't be scared off. 

Be careful. 

Thank you - very helpful. 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Andrew2225 

Airbnb doesn't allow guest under 25 to book a whole house or apartment who have less than three reviews. As I recall host and customer service can't approve them. Well, you can, but they still can't book, unless something changed. 

Last time this came up a few weeks ago, someone suggested a work around to change the listing setting to guest suite or private room, let them book it then change it back. I personally wouldn't want to do this, but might be an option. 

Hopefully another host who rents an entire house might have some more suggestions.  

Thank you - very helpful.

@John5097

Under 25 years old can book - age alone is not necessarily the only factor that will block a booking. I've had two bookings in the last 24 hours from brand new users - one celebrating a 20th birthday and the other celebrating a 21st. 

@Andrew2225 I wouldn't accept this booking if I were you. It's almost as if their overcommunicating honesty scares me. I'm inclined not to believe them. Let another host with more experience take the chance. 

@Emilia42 

I didn't say age alone. 

"Airbnb doesn't allow guest under 25 to book a whole house or apartment who have less than three reviews."

Not sure if you missed that. I thought that was the policy but maybe it changed again. Did your under 25 guest have any reviews? 

Edit: I see you said your 20 year old guest were brand new so assume they didn't have reviews. Good to know Airbnb changed this policy again. 

@John5097 That is what I was commenting on. Brand new users who are under 25 can book whole-house listings or apartments without any reviews. These two recent bookings of mine had zero reviews. But I know another host who was recently trying to work around the block with an under 25. She felt comfortable hosting him regardless because of his many 5 star reviews.  

@Emilia42 

Ok then maybe Airbnb changed their policy recently. There have been a lot of discussion about the policy. 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/AIRBNB-BANNING-GUESTS-UNDER-25-TO-BOOK-HOMES-THANK-YOU-A...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Host-pre-approved-but-cannot-book-due-to-safety-risk/m-p/13...

At any rate it was never in the host control to ban under 25 year olds from renting houses. It was Airbnb policy. There was also no announcement so me and my guest had no clue why they couldn't book until guest called customer service. Still might be worth mentioning to guest even if its a decline. 

Good to learn this might have changed and there is some kind of policy update.  

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Andrew2225,

Welcome to the community!

Congratulations on your new listing.

My response  is ‘ decline’ the booking,

The short answer - ‘ 0 review and new users.”

He stated,

8 men from the      University of XXXXX. We do not drink, smoke, gamble, or have any parties of the sort. Please let me know if you allow for people under 25 to book with your property.” 

-No way!

You’re not going to likes this.

After reading your listing, your listing is attached to the unwanted guests. ‘ Target ‘ of parties guest.

I’m so sorry to tell you the above.

How to prevent the parties in a vacation rental? 

https://www.rentalscaleup.com/trust-safety-how-to-prevent-covid-19-house-parties-with-airbnb-booking...

Do you have additional coverage insurance for your listing?

Hosting with any accurate frequency is likely to void your current homeowner's policy, and Airbnb's protection is inadequate.

The Airbnb help page, 

Host Guaranteed

https://www.airbnb.com/d/guarantee

Host Protection Insurance

https://www.airbnb.com/d/host-protection-insurance

What's the difference between Airbnb's Host Guarantee and Host Protection Insurance?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/938/whats-the-difference-between-airbnbs-host-guarantee-and-host...

Ways to go! 
Happy Hosting!

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

8 college student males at a secluded cabin with a firepit.  What could go wrong?

@Andrew2225 Unless I had either cameras or lived close enough to know what was going on, I would probably decline this request as too risky.  Maybe it is true that they don't drink, gamble or smoke....but my experience with guests who pro actively tell you how they will be so respectful of your property and are super clean and quiet, usually, this is not how they are.

@Mark116 

What could go wrong?  😂 😂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Andrew2225  I would suggest you change your listing title. There is no need to have Hot Tub! in it. It's a party magnet.

For sure it's a nice amenity to offer, but just having it in your photos, description and amenities list is plenty. It doesn't need to be front and center when guests are perusing listings.

Sure, these guys might be a bunch of computer nerds who will just sit around and play video games, eat pizza and drink Gatorade, but it's probably not worth taking the chance.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

At the risk of sounding repetitive, it's always a successful longer term strategy to underpromise and overdeliver.

For example, keep the jacuzzi understated. It's ok to mention it, but let it (and perhaps other things) be an unexpected surprise, and your guests will sell your offerings for you... In their reviews. And then you might raise your prices a bit 🙂 

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful and helpful comments. I have followed your collective advice and declined this guest. He was cordial in his response, but I do feel relief. Additionally, I do see the wisdom in perhaps reducing descriptions that could lead to the party atmosphere, as I would want to avoid that. I would much rather prefer to attract a family demographic than a party demographic. 

Thank you everyone! Much appreciated.