New to AirBnB Hosting - Unverified Guest Question

Amanda1749
Level 2
San Diego, CA

New to AirBnB Hosting - Unverified Guest Question

Hello!

I've just started hosting a private room in my home. I've had my first guest depart this morning and it was a great experience. I have a questionable booking that makes me a bit uncomfortable, I'd love advice.  A guest sent a booking request but I didn't have a chance to read her email before accepting, well, didn't know to read it rather.  I accepted the 3-day request, only to read her email that says "Booking for my husband who is staying there before his deployment." 

The booking guest is not staying at the property, the husband is not on the reservation. I'm not comfortable hosting this way for many possible risks. I've messaged back and stated I only allow verified guests and that she should add him to the reservation and do a quick verification. 

Would anyone have approached the situation differently?  Open to any advice, thank you in advance! 

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Amanda1749 

it is a 3rd party booking, which is not allowed. Even if the booker adds the husbands Airbnb profile to the reservation (making it a stay for 2 persons !), then it is still a 3rd party booking if the booker will not join her husband on the trip (or more specific: if the husband will not join his wife on the trip, as the wife is the main guest).

So the options are:

- If still within full refund time period , ask the guest to cancel

- Contact Airbnb and ask if they will support this booking, if not they need to cancel it (without penalties for you)

- Continue with the booking.

- Cancel yoursell (with penalties !)

Please note:

You accepted the reservation, although already informed about the "husband" situation, but not reading it

This is weakening your position when contacting Airbnb

Thank you for the tip. this must mean if I accepted and something were to happen to my property that Airbnb would not support any damages. 

It was a new host mistake, I’ll have watch out for that in the future. It turned out ok, the husband was a great guest but the whole thing made me feel a little uncomfortable. 

I appreciate your help!