New to hosting in Los Angeles

Answered!
Stella465
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

New to hosting in Los Angeles

Hi, I'm Stella located in Los Angeles. I'm new to hosting on Airbnb. Just listed my home yesterday and would love to learn from everyone here. https://airbnb.com/h/midcenturymodernloft Not sure how to get started on getting the first guest to book - how can I encourage people to get over the "this listing has no review" concern and book?

1 Best Answer

@Stella465  I agree your furniture designs are great (I'm an upholsterer myself). But you will soon find out that guests aren't nearly as careful with things as you would hope.

I made some new slipcovers for a client whose place was rented out most of the year when they weren't using it themselves. They wanted white (yes, the light, airy look), which I tried to talk them out of, but they insisted. The first set of guests after the new covers went in had someone in their group who decided the white couch was the perfect place to sit while applying their blue nail polish. There were spots of blue nail polish all over the sofa. 

Luckily, the covers were made of Sunbrella fabric, which you can actually use acetone on without damaging it, so the cleaner managed to get most of it out.

Another client who also insisted on white had guests spill red wine on the brand new sofa cushion, flipped it over and never mentioned it, as if she'd never notice.

Re the lock- there is nothing wrong with using a smart lock,  it just should be something that the guests can be sent a code to, rather than having to download an app to use. Plenty of hosts use smart locks that the host can change the code on remotely, but guests only need the programmed number. Not everyone uses a smart phone, believe it or not, and a guest's phone could be out of charge, or not be getting a signal. As long as you provide an alternative if necessary, you're good.

Another thing I thought of- as a home share host myself, I found it a good idea to market towards the kind of guests who'll be a good fit for you, your place, and your lifestyle. 

That means mentioning something about your habits in the listing and talking about the kind of guests your place will be good for - do you work from home, outside the home, do you go to bed early, or are you a night owl, etc. Do you want guests who are quiet, who have plans to be out and about a lot, or are digital nomads who are home most of the time good for you?

There's nothing worse than having a guest who bangs around in the kitchen at 1 am, carrying on a loud phone conversation, waking you up, if you have to get up to start work at 6:30am. Or having a guest who installs themselves on the living room couch, binge watching a Netfix series all day or gaming with all those obnoxious sounds, when you are trying to meet with your clients.

Make sure to lay out expectations in shared common spaces to avoid those sorts of scenarios before they have a chance to happen.

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Stella465  Your place is super cool. However, it's too bad you didn't upholster that furniture you designed with fabric that will hide stains and dirt- you are going to be a slave to keeping that white furniture clean. You might want to consider slipcovers that can be easily removed and washed.

Are you sure you want 3 people sharing one bedroom? If I were you, I would list it for 2. That way if it's a couple they have the couch to use as a couch, if it's single friends, they can make use of both sleeping options. Cramming 3 people in 1 bedroom seems a bit much.

Your lock- it's actually against Airbnb policy for guests to have to download a 3rd party app to gain entry. Please scroll down on this article to get to the part about the keyless entry. I would never book somewhere that required me to download an app to get in.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2799/airbnbs-offplatform-policy

Don't worry about getting booked. Plenty of guests book new listings with no reviews- we all started with no reviews. 

Great suggestions. I think I will reduce capacity to 2. Technically there can be 3 but I do want to minimize the amount of people in the home.

Hmmm I have no idea about the lock situation. I do have a lockbox with the key ready so I might offer that instead. The smartlock was meant for eliminating guest losing keys and me having to go through the hassle of replacing. It can also be dangerous if someone found the key before I could replace it.

I understand your concern about the white furniture - my design of the space requires white to make it airy and nice. Not sure how to retain the great-looking design that will attract guests but also maintain cleanliness? I'm afraid covers will entirely hide the design.

@Stella465  I agree your furniture designs are great (I'm an upholsterer myself). But you will soon find out that guests aren't nearly as careful with things as you would hope.

I made some new slipcovers for a client whose place was rented out most of the year when they weren't using it themselves. They wanted white (yes, the light, airy look), which I tried to talk them out of, but they insisted. The first set of guests after the new covers went in had someone in their group who decided the white couch was the perfect place to sit while applying their blue nail polish. There were spots of blue nail polish all over the sofa. 

Luckily, the covers were made of Sunbrella fabric, which you can actually use acetone on without damaging it, so the cleaner managed to get most of it out.

Another client who also insisted on white had guests spill red wine on the brand new sofa cushion, flipped it over and never mentioned it, as if she'd never notice.

Re the lock- there is nothing wrong with using a smart lock,  it just should be something that the guests can be sent a code to, rather than having to download an app to use. Plenty of hosts use smart locks that the host can change the code on remotely, but guests only need the programmed number. Not everyone uses a smart phone, believe it or not, and a guest's phone could be out of charge, or not be getting a signal. As long as you provide an alternative if necessary, you're good.

Another thing I thought of- as a home share host myself, I found it a good idea to market towards the kind of guests who'll be a good fit for you, your place, and your lifestyle. 

That means mentioning something about your habits in the listing and talking about the kind of guests your place will be good for - do you work from home, outside the home, do you go to bed early, or are you a night owl, etc. Do you want guests who are quiet, who have plans to be out and about a lot, or are digital nomads who are home most of the time good for you?

There's nothing worse than having a guest who bangs around in the kitchen at 1 am, carrying on a loud phone conversation, waking you up, if you have to get up to start work at 6:30am. Or having a guest who installs themselves on the living room couch, binge watching a Netfix series all day or gaming with all those obnoxious sounds, when you are trying to meet with your clients.

Make sure to lay out expectations in shared common spaces to avoid those sorts of scenarios before they have a chance to happen.

Thank you so much for these additional suggestions. I definitely agreed - just updated the language to describe what my space is best for.

The upholstering can't be changed now - I was wondering if you know any way to still show the shape of the 2 white couches I have with some kind of cover. They are boucle, which is probably the worst kind to clean.

@Stella465  Well, I  could make slipcovers for those pieces that would like it had been reupholstered and preserve almost the entire shape, but I'm in Mexico and you're in LA  🙂

I actually pin the slipcovers I make on to the furniture, sew part of it together, come back, and do several fittings, almost like making a wedding dress, so they fit perfectly with no sloppiness at all. 

Short of that, either just get some attractive throws or something to cover the stuff so as not to get it dirty, or sell those pieces and put in something more practical for hosting guests. Or wait and see- maybe you'll luck out and get immaculate guests who never get it dirty. You might have to have the professional upholstery cleaners on speed dial 🙂

Markus462
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

They will come.  You can try to do a low minimum stay to create a stronger profile with reviews.  Im currently on month to month so reviews will be much more less than a 1-2 night minimum stay.