Newbie here! Asking for advice on long term request!

Seann63
Level 2
Gastonia, NC

Newbie here! Asking for advice on long term request!

Hello! My listing just went live today, and within the first few hours I received a request for a very long term stay (June-Aug) 

the person making the request has 3 reviews (but to be fair we are brand new so we have none!). 

My question is; what is the correct way of vetting this request? What questions should I ask, is it appropriate to ask for a phone call?  A deposit? Is this a common scam or am I being too cynical?

thank you in advance!

8 Replies 8

This is harder than it used to be. In the old days you could chat, get to know them, friend them on FB, etc. Now - everything is withheld before booking.

Before you "accept" the reservation you need more information. But any attempt to get it will be blocked. At one point we had a new user with no reviews who just signed up that day try to send her phone number. It kept getting erased by Airbnb. Even the names of her family coming with her (husband and son). So we traded phone number one post at a time. After talking on the phone we were laughing and sharing tips and we hosted her. It was three months into lockdown and she was going stir crazy living on a farm and wanted a place closer to the city for her young son to explore. She's now a friend. But it's stupid you have to find work-arounds for Airbnb's weird policy. You can't send them an email and Airbnb won't give you their data until they are booked (stupid, stupid, stupid). So proceed cautiously.

You could say you'll temporarily approve the request so you both can figure out if this is a fit. If not, the guest can cancel or you can within the first day at no penalty.

Long term guests can be wonderful. Or not. So far I've had good luck.  But if they are asking to stay three months, explain you'll need them to sign a lease with agreements as to end date (which can be extended if you both wish it.) In many states more than 30 days give them tenants rights and you need to know who they are and why they are wanting to rent for 3 months.

Good luck.

@Seann63 I agree with Christine its tricky . bearing in mind that you can message with the gust to your hearts content . Use this to start communicating. when you first start hosting you do so with a 20 percent discount, so this is attractive to some people and the discount is built into the three months. Do your sums as you will be paid the first day of each month for the month.  find out most importantly if they are active either for work or education or some other thing with a beginning and end point ,not just someone looking for a place to live .also if this is a whole house booking then you will need to make sure housekeeeping is done weekly and either charge an amount over and above for this for free , up to you but this allows you access for linen changeover and bathroom and kitchen cleaning and vacumning. this will help maintain your listing plus other things that may happen like repairs or mowing. all the best H

At the beginning of hosting, a long stay will really test you, and your house, so expect to have a few complaints, and maybe a few breakages. If you get through it you will be older and wiser .H

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Christine615   Just a few words of caution just in case you not aware, Airbnb will apply a 20% discount for your first three bookings.  You can deactivate this if you wish.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Seann63  you would be better setting up your listing so that you only accept short stays when first hosting to help familiarise yourself with how Airbnb works.

I would suggest not accepting a longer term booking at this stage.

Also check your longer term discount Airbnb normally defaults to a high discount for longer term bookings which you will probably want to change.

I agree with @Kate867  do check to make sure the new host discount is turned off.

Annaluce2
Level 2
Cassina de' Pecchi, Italy

Ciao, anche io sono nuova ed ho un paio di richieste, che  tra l'altro ho già accettato, ma ho un grosso problema, l'apertura della mia pratica prevede come affitti ad uso turistico un massimo di 28 notti, come posso fare per ospitare comunque le persone che hanno già prenotato e non metterle in difficoltà?

Grazie mille a chi mi risponderà

Carol7492
Level 2
Wooster, OH

@Seann63 In the past 3 weeks I have had 2 requests from 1st timers for 2-3 month stay. Both obvious foreigners by the broken texting. Both wanting to leave just before Christmas. Both saying the person who normally handles their accommodations is not available.  Something sounds fishy here.  Any thoughts

@Carol7492 probably international students looking to take advantage of current low prices in some areas. They may ask for another discount and try to hold your booking for a while without really making a reservation . They often do not actually book and you end up with no reservation at all . Try asking the questions about their reasons for needing the accomodation  and for ids etcetera . they are sometimes waiting for another student or someone else to join them or looking for an address for the visa authorities H