Newbie host q: We all started as guests somewhere, but... What would you advise?

Neill23
Level 2
Airdrie, Canada

Newbie host q: We all started as guests somewhere, but... What would you advise?

Hi all,  we have been staying in ABBs for a number of years now, and launched our first host listing last week.

We had a request for this coming weekend from a guest whose join date is Aug/21, and thus far has only linked a phone number to his ID.  No stays or reviews.  I have read a lot of the New Hosting forum posts about creating a dialogue with guests that don't have any reviews yet - after all, we all started somewhere, right?  And managed to get a few bookings that we feel comfortable with as the applicants responded with enough info that we could find them in an online search.  One fellow sent us his son's reviews and names, and we vetted both, and accepted the family under the father's name (he has been on ABB for a number of years,  just had no reviews).

An account that is at most 9 days old, and is not verified seems a bit above what we find acceptable.  I sent an email to ask for some more details, but have not received a response yet.

Your thoughts and advice are appreciated.  Thank you.

3 Replies 3
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Welcome to hosting!

I'd say follow your gut feeling! That's the one thing that's been most helpful and most true for me - follow your gut feeling. If you have a bad feeling about it - don't host!

But it might also be someone who isn't aware of Airbnb. Maybe try to send an SMS to let them know there's email waiting for them (which might have ended up in spam), and if that ALSO goes unanswered and no answers on email, then I'd probably chose to not host. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Neill23 

I recently was flooded with new accounts, ofcours not yet having reviews, but also not proper verified (for me it means: havng ID verified). So just start the conversation, state you do not accept bookings anyway without ID verification and learn from the responses.

If somebody already in the intial message shows off not having completely read the listing or asking for (more) discount on short stays, it is a bad sign. And non-reponsive people start already with a not-5-stars-on-communication !

To prevent to much declining, ask them to retract the booking request. If it is an inquiry, no obligation to decline, just answer the question.

Neill23
Level 2
Airdrie, Canada

Thank you for your replies and advice @Solveig0 and @Emiel1 

It turned out that patience indeed is a virtue.  The fellow had not responded after about three hours, and I was considering accepting a separate request for a single night only (it was posted as a two-night min to cover a calendar gap).  I was about ready to give up on the first request when he replied, and I was able to pre-screen.  He is now both verified and booked for this weekend.