Not new to Airbnb but new to hosting - Negative Inquiry!

Marie6848
Level 2
Hilton Head Island, SC

Not new to Airbnb but new to hosting - Negative Inquiry!

I recently purchased (April) a property and have listed it on Airbnb for rental.  However, I have been a member of Airbnb since 2015.  When I set up my account, I used the profile I had as it had my identity confirmed and Airbnb allowed me to switch from guest to hosting.  I never thought of the negative aspects.  I have no reviews and have not had my first guest, but I had an inquiry today asking why I've had a listing since 2015 and no reviews.  I responded. 

It's a good question, one I would have worried about if I was looking for a place.  Is there a way to fix this so it doesn't look like I've scrubbed my listing of bad reviews or something?!

7 Replies 7
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marie6848  Not as far as I know. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Many guests wouldn't even notice the date your profile was created. And once you get a few bookings and reviews, it will cease to be a question.

I'm not sure why you consider this a negative inquiry. They just asked. I've asked guests that had long standing profiles yet no reviews the same question. It's just asking for clarification, nothing wrong with that.

You could put a line in your listing description which explains that you've travelled as a guest, but just opened a listing as a host.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Marie6848 

I would not worry about this, your profile shows you have reviews as a guest and also you mentioned in the profile you recently bought the condo you are offering now. The listing also is labeled as "new" in the search. So those guests not reading this information will probably also not read your listing or houserules very well.....

@Emiel1 ”So those guests not reading this information will probably also not read your listing or houserules very well.....”

Spot on. @Marie6848, you are getting an early lesson in a rather large common factor amongst most guests, in that they do not read listing details or house rules thoroughly, if at all.

Marie6848
Level 2
Hilton Head Island, SC

I guess I didn't consider it a negative comment (I hope they book!), just another hurdle to booking guests for a new listing!!  So I will take your advice and not worry too much about this and decide if I want to address it in my listing!!  Thank you for the advice!!

@Marie6848  Be aware that the majority of Inquiries never go on to book. Don't think it's because of something you said or because of your concern here. 

Guests have often sent out inquiries to multiple places and you never hear back from them, not even a thank you for your reply  (basic manners seem to be in short supply these days). It's quite common.

Hi @Marie6848 ,

Welcome to the community! 😊

You can clarify in your profile, 

‘ I recently purchased (April) a property and have listed it on Airbnb for rental.  However, I have been an Airbnb member and guest since 2015.’

Happy Hosting ✌️

Way to go! 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

You don't "have a listing since 2015." You have a profile that was set up in 2015 of which you have used many times when you traveled as a guest. Your hosting listing is brand new. I would have kindly informed the guest of this when they inquired. There is no hidden secret here just an inquiry that is wasting your time (in my opinion.)

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 1.50.33 PM.png