Number of beds

Answered!
Len-and-Magaly0
Level 2
Twain Harte, CA

Number of beds

Hi there, we are new hosts and are a bit confused about how many people we can say our property sleeps.

Our studio has a queen size bed, and we also have a twin size rollaway bed and a pack & play with a mattress where an infant/toddler can sleep.  Because of this, we have listed our property as "sleeps 4" ... and in the description it shows it is a queen, a toddler bed and a crib.

However, we've gotten a few requests from people who see "sleeps 4" and instant book for their family of 4, which include teenagers ...  It's happened a few times, which is making us think we are describing it wrong. Are we?  How would you list it?

Obviously, this being a studio, all the "beds" would have to be placed in the same area. 

Thanks in advance!

1 Best Answer
Jennifer1773
Level 10
Brevard, NC

@Len-and-Magaly0 When I look for a listing for 3, I think 3 adults. I would personally list your beautiful space for 2 people (you seem to offer a fine price point for your area for 2) unless you want to amend your listing to include photos and further description of the "roll away" / "toddler" bed. How would this bed be incorporated into this space? What does this look like?  Keep in mind that children under 2 are always "free" and are not included in the total guest count. Alternatively you could discard Instant Booking and have a good conversation with guests about their needs before they book.

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Len-and-Magaly0,

We also offer a play 'n pack crib for one of our spaces, but do not include a child that small in the overall sleeping count.  I'd suggest changing the number to 3, but still display all of the bed types.

Liv
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Len-and-Magaly0,

Just a heads up that I've moved your topic to the "New to Hosting" board. Hopefully this way you'll get more replies to your question 😊  (in addition to @Debra300's great advice).

Jennifer1773
Level 10
Brevard, NC

@Len-and-Magaly0 When I look for a listing for 3, I think 3 adults. I would personally list your beautiful space for 2 people (you seem to offer a fine price point for your area for 2) unless you want to amend your listing to include photos and further description of the "roll away" / "toddler" bed. How would this bed be incorporated into this space? What does this look like?  Keep in mind that children under 2 are always "free" and are not included in the total guest count. Alternatively you could discard Instant Booking and have a good conversation with guests about their needs before they book.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Len-and-Magaly0 a pack n play is not a bed. Your post is unclear on whether your second bed is a twin or a toddler bed. In any case list your max as the number of full-sized humans your beds can accommodate.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Len-and-Magaly0 Your studio is small (and very beautiful.) Realistically, it sleeps two. I would list it as accommodations for two. Focus on adults. There is no reason to cram a family of 4 into a small studio space other than they want a cheap vacation. And you don't want to attract those people to your well-put-together space.

Guests who inquire with an infant in tow will be pleasantly surprised when you "go out of your way" to provide them with a pack-n-play. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Len-and-Magaly0 the rule of thumb is how many adults can comfortably sleep in the actual beds provided? Not sofas. Not temporary beds. Not air mattresses. Hosts get themselves into trouble trying to pack in guests like sardines. Many guests will lie anyway about how many people they are bringing, so its best to err on the side of fewer guests. 

I would market your space to couples and single travelers ONLY. More guests means more clean up and more wear and tear.  You should do quite well with the couples market especially if you can offer some goodies like champagne or chocolates at check in for romantic occasions. If you want to open to couples traveling with a small child, that will probably not be a huge percentage of your market but its nice you can offer that. 

Divide your number of guests by your nightly price. If the result is less than the cost of a McDonald's meal and a large Starbucks beverage, you won't get the best guests.  The family of 4 trying to cram into a studio is doing so to save money. Do yourself a favor and limit your capacity from the beginning.

Len-and-Magaly0
Level 2
Twain Harte, CA

Thank you all for all the great suggestions. By offering the pack-n-play and the rollaway bed, we intended to accommodate families with small children. I understand now that the number of beds should reflect comfortable beds for adults. I have updated our listing, and I'm hoping this will solve our problem. 

Many thanks again!

Lisa6530
Level 1
Yellow Pinch, Australia

Hi , I also have an incorrect entry with my listing saying 8 beds even though I ticked one queen, 1 bunk and one single bed. I have tried several times to alter it with no luck. Any ideas?