Please Critique my New Listing and help us find a Name - Linda3345 in Corning, NY

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Please Critique my New Listing and help us find a Name - Linda3345 in Corning, NY

7367e64a-b98e-453a-aefc-20fd4631f786.jpeg

I am new to hosting, and have my first guests arriving in about a week. I've been really pleased to have several reservations booked quickly, almost as soon as our listing went live. I would really like feedback on our listing. One concern i have is: Are our descriptions too wordy? Is it better to just list, instead of writing prose? 

And, what else do you notice about our listing? We are open to ideas for improvements, please. 

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50853520. *link updated by OCM*

Also, we still do not have a name for our place. We have been thinking, asking friends and family for ideas and feedback, and we still have nothing that everyone thinks works. 

Our key features: we have a pond, we have woods, a golden retriever, and a roomy, homey, but not super-fancy home. 

Any ideas? or ideas about how you came up with a name for your place?

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Linda3345 

The link you provided is only accessable by you, the  regular link to your listing is:

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/50853520

It looks nice !

About the name:

The golden retreat
Linda's retreat
The dear hunter
The happy frog (or deer or bear)
House at the pond

Thank you for the link info. Now I see how that works. @Emiel1

@Linda3345  Your listing descriptions are delightful, and I especially like the emphasis on the area's natural features. It's very clear upfront that you're targeting guests who love the great outdoors, with a secondary emphasis on the comforts of the home. That sounds like a good fit.

The paragraph about bear safety was amusing, but maybe better suited to the House Manual. Meanwhile, I'd place more prominently in the listing description that the hosts occupy part of the building, to deter guests who are seeking total seclusion. Although Airbnb is pushing hard on the self-check-in option, you may find that your ideal guests actual prefer the old-fashioned, personable hospitality of an onsite host.

Showing the landscape in different seasons was an excellent touch. I'd also suggest more photos of the kitchen, lounge, and dining area - it helps guests visualize where they'll enjoy their quality time in the evenings or hang out during bad weather.  And while one might think it goes without saying, if your home is too far from public transportation to be accessible without a car, it's best to be explicit about that.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

I think it’s a very good listing.

I think it’s important to have the information about wild animals there where people might read it.

A few pictures could be included for the illiterate.

We have had bad reviews from incredibly ignorant people who apparently assumed that all wild animals in this wilderness area had been or should be exterminated. 

You really don’t want anyone that stupid and I actively try to discourage them.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Linda3345  Your listing is lovely. I agree with the suggestion to make it really clear that you live in the same house, in a separate basement suite, and that the guests have the main part of the house, with private entrance.

Put this in a separate paragraph, so it is noticed. You can spin it as a positive- "We live in the basement suite if this house, so we are always available to answer any questions you may have, but of course we respect our guests' privacy."

This accomplishes two things- it wards off guests who show up, assuming they have the entire property to themselves, as well as guests who have intent to throw a party, or sneak in extra guests or pets.

Photos- take better photos of the bedrooms that don't cut off right at the top of the bed frame. Take at least 2 photos of each bedroom, from different angles, so guests can see if there is a closet, desk, whatever is there. And more photos of the kitchen from different angles, as well, not just the sink area.