Please help me understand the different types of booking requests!

Shelley346
Level 2
Machipongo, VA

Please help me understand the different types of booking requests!

Good morning!

Bought my slice of heaven on the water in Machipongo, VA, on the Eastern shore. I am calling to Tranquil Blue. So, I just got my listing up and running and bookings are rolling in at the rate of a steaming locomotive. I don't understand things such as the differences in booking. Also, do I ask to see their ID when they check in? Looking forward to really connecting with this community and sharing and learning.

Much Gratitude,

Shelley 

14 Replies 14
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Shelley346 welcome to community 🙂 Try to read as much posts as possible and you will learn a lot here.

if some bookings are instant and others are booking REQUESTS it means some guests don’t have all booking requirements from your settings. So maybe they are not verified with their ID or they don't have good reviews and recommendations from previous hosts or they travel with kids and your place is not suitable for children.

Be careful with requests and ask a few questions before you accept them. If you don't want to host them then first ask them to withdraw their request within a few hours and if they don't then you have to decline. Try not to decline too many of them in a short period bc you could be penalized.

If prospective guests send you an INQUIRY then you don't have to pre approve or decline, just answering the message is ok

Great answer, helpful! Much appreciated.

Branka & Silvia, 

I am having difficulty finding these posts is presenting a challenge. I need to call customer service as Air BnB will not allow me to put in my actual address, it is choosing a similar one but NOT my actual.

Thanks!!

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Shelley346 If you are getting lots of bookings that is great BUT it does beg the question have you got your pricing correct?

The price tips from Airbnb are usually VERY low. Best thing is to search for similar listings near you and see what they are charging.

@Shelley346 @Mike-And-Jane0 

As Mike and Jane point out, low prices will always be encouraged by Airbnb. This ensures they get bookings (and their commissions) and helps keep Airbnb the dominant market player. 

However, beware that low prices tend to attract a different character of guest. We've found that the guests who pay the least tend to be the most problematic.

So keep your prices as high as you can without scaring away bookings. If bookings are coming in fast and furious, then you have room to do this.

Our rule of thumb is to check similar listings in your area, then price a little higher. It will slow down the bookings, but when your local competition gets booked, you'll be the only game in town. Airbnb's greatest strength is that they really bring in the bookings, so you'll get them, even at a higher price. And generally speaking, you'll tend to get nicer guests.

Just be patient, and be sure to deliver a great experience for the guests, and you'll consistently receive good reviews, which in turn, attracts more bookings. 

One last piece of advice: you're on your own with this, so use your instincts to decide if a potential guest seems a little "off", and scare them away if you feel uncomfortable with their inquiry or request. There's another booking waiting in the wings.

The consequences of hosting "bad" guests range from minor aggravation all the way to costing you $1000's, and don't expect Airbnb to help you, no matter what you've been led to believe. Just be careful about who you accept, take good care of your property and your guests, and you should be quite successful. 

Good luck with everything! 

Would love to come stay at your place !!

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Shelley346 

Well, your place looks lovely! And what a fantastic location! My  brother in law used to have a similar place on lake Anna. But he sold up and retired to North Carolina some years ago. 

Our place is also in a tourist spot so we have some similarities, but we don't have the advantage of waterfront, so we have to work a bit harder to attract bookings. But it works most of the time. 

In my opinion, you have some really great opportunities in that location. You definitely have some pricing headroom. I'm sure you'll do really well. If I can help in any way, please don't hesitate to ask. 

If you're coming to Mallorca, just let me know... I'll arrange something special for you 🙂

Best wishes, 

Elaine

I’m trying to figure out how to adjust my settings so folks with no ratings must request a stay as opposed to automatically booking?

Thank you 

Thank you for taking time to share your knowledge!

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Shelley346 lovely place! I know exactly where this is 🙂

Here is a thread that might be generally helpful for you. It was buried so I am sharing it 🙂

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Tips-for-new-hosts/m-p/1257038

Laura, this link is great! Thanks so much!!

Laura, this link is great! Thanks so much!!

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Shelley346 Welcome to hosting, and to the community center. Your listing looks lovely and peaceful.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 suggested you read posts here on the forum, which is great advice, but note also that there are many articles on the Airbnb Help pages that you should read. You will learn both hosting 'street smarts' here, and the basics of how things work, on the help pages. It's so important for hosts to be fully informed before jumping in, to make the going smooth. Good luck!

Colleen, 

Thanks for the kind words about my suite and the encouragement!