Please help - new host

Please help - new host

I don’t know what to do. I’m new to hosting, it’s been like three weeks. I am renting out my deceased fathers house in order to save it from back debts. I’m making no money whatsoever.  So it is a little bit of a different situation than most.

The house is dated and I am doing what smaller renovations I can, but I don’t really have money to invest and make everything perfect. So I made it one of the cheapest in the area. $100 a night for the whole house. There are literally a tent, yurt, and camper in my town that are asking more than me, so I would think my price was fair. It’s been a learning curve, but every time I fix something someone comes up with something new to complain about. I’ve gotten some good reviews but two bad star ratings.

One person gave me a three for communication even though I responded to him literally within a minute every time he asked me something. Low stars on accuracy when the property is exactly what it is, should I say it needs renovation in the descriptions? There are many pictures. But what really making me crazy right now is I just got a 2 star for cleanliness because of dirty sheets when they were literally brand new out of the package never used even once.

How do people just lie? And why? If this doesn’t work I’m going to lose my fathers home. I just understand why people can’t just be fair. How can I fix problems that don’t even exist?

55 Replies 55
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Georgi702 

IMO it is a good idea to mention in the listing the place is dated and needs some renovation.

A three * for  communication can also mean your communication was not clear, although prompt. New bedlinen useally need to be washed before use, maybe "dirty" was because of  "unpleasant smell" ? Why not ask the guest for an explanation !

But in general your reviews are OK, so try to get more of them asap, as for now you are below Airbnb standards and then there is a risk of (temporary) suspension....

I did finally get a response from him. I guess it was the mattress cover not the sheets. Which isn’t brand new but clean. Now he is asking for a refund on the cleaning fee?? I already paid my cleaner. I don’t have it.

Why dont you clean the place yourself instead of hiring a cleaner. Sometimes to make money, it's good to cut expenses. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Georgi702 

Having the lowest price around is often counterproductive. You end up with a lot of cheapskates and creeps like those people from Boston.

I would try making your description similar to what you have posted here.

Perhaps, “I’m Trying To Save My Childhood Home.”

Definitely mention that little has changed in the past 30 years or so, but make it a positive—“Step back in time and remember when life was less complicated.”

Enlist the guest’s help. “Your payment will allow me to make needed improvements. I would really appreciate your suggestions as to what I should do next!”

You might even encounter someone with remodeling skills who would be willing to live there through the winter and pay some of the rent with labor.

Just be very careful about who you choose for something like that. New York has some extremely unpleasant landlord/tenant laws.

These are good ideas and I’m going to try something like that. My boyfriend is actually good at renovations and that’s the only way we have gotten anything done. We have fixed cracked sheet rock, painted ceilings, sided the entire garage and replaced both toilets. I just can’t afford the materials for something like tearing up all the carpets. Nor can afford to have it vacant for an extended period of time.

@Georgi702  Being one of the cheapest places in the area might help attract bookings, but it doesn't result in better ratings and reviews. Unfortunately, a low rating early on can have an outsized impact on a listing's appeal to potential guests. The effect is autocatalytic - the better guests avoid lower-rated listings, so instead you just get booked by the worse guests, who in turn leave worse reviews and make the rating go down more. 

The one point where you can really shape your future reviews is when a request comes in. Then, you have a 24-hour window to discuss the ins and outs of the home with your prospective guests, make sure their expectations line up with reality, and possibly decline if they don't seem enthusiastic enough about the place to be likely to leave a good review. Obvious downside is that declining requests in a slow season means more vacancy and less income. Not ideal for your situation.

A few minor edits might set your listing itself on a better path. For one thing, the very opening of the listing shows the wrong specs:  "4 guests, · 2 bedrooms, · 0 beds, · 2 baths"   That should show as 2 beds; be sure you complete the Listing Details editor to get all the accurate specs in there.  According to your House Rules, you allow smoking. This might be appreciated by the minority of people who like to smoke indoors, but it will be off-putting to the larger portion of the population who finds the odor unpleasant, so it might be worth reconsidering. And while your written description should be upfront about the fact that the home is rustic and unrenovated, you might be able to identify a niche for whom the house's unique charms are particularly appealing and lean hard into that with your word choices and aesthetic improvements.

No doubt though, you have your work cut out. A lot of people overestimate their ability to relax into the vacation mood when they're in a house full of someone's old stuff, and some of it probably needs to go. I would get the workout equipment out of the bedroom ASAP, find some affordable secondhand patio dining furniture in time for the return of BBQ weather, and invest whatever you can in window coverings and other decorative textiles to liven up the home feel more like a place of fun and recreation. At the moment it seems to be more of a museum to your father's memory, and guests are going to be subconsciously influenced by that in the wrong way if they're trying to enjoy a family vacation.

I’ve gotten a couple of low ratings in the value category. And people telling me to lower my price. Do you really think I should raise it?

thank you for pointing out the bed thing, I fixed it. 
I put smoking allowed because the house has been smoked in for many years and I figured the smell was already there. 
also there is patio furniture, it just wasn’t there when I took the picture. I’ll take a new picture.

I am trying to add small things as I can afford them. 

@Georgi702 

I completely agree with the comments from the other hosts and would just like to add that there is a minimum cost for utilities, upkeep and cleaning that you need to take into account - at $100 a night for an entire home are you even sure you're *making* any money? 

So far I’ve just been paying the bills but I need more bookings.

Linda3345
Level 10
Corning, NY

Hi Georgi702,  I hope I can help. My listing is similar in some ways to yours. Here are my suggestions:

1. Take a little more time to declutter more. Example: fewer items out in the kitchen, get rid of the exercise machine, and small items on the deck. Tuck cords out of the way. Then take some better photos for your listing. Offer a friend a couple of free nights if they can take much better photos for you. 

2. Make sure the basics work. Sounds like you took care of a plumbing issue. Are there any other functional issues like that? Those have to work. 

3. I like the idea of being up front about Saving Dad's House, or something similar. People respond to honesty.  Whatever you put in the description, lower the expectations just a bit, by mentioning perhaps the dated decor. But then when guests arrive, have something so the experience exceeds their expectations. Also, point out and photograph a few more positives. Is it a good bird-watching place?Are there good views? Your outdoors might be more of a drawing card for guests. Emphasize that. 

5. I agree with no-smoking in the home. 

See if these suggestions help. 

I do think there is a point where you have to put some money into this to make it a profitable business. It doesn't need to be extravagant, but just upgraded maybe.  Perhaps you could find a business partner to up-front you some money for a few upgrades, and they would gradually get paid back. 

4. Raise your price just a bit. It's a matter of perception. 

Thank you for tips. You really think I should raise the price? To what?

ive actually put thousands into it already to get it where it is now. A good chunk just to keep the house insurance. I’m tapped out for the time being.

Just try raising the price a bit. Like if you are asking $100/night now, try $110-115, and see what happens. 

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Georgi702 

I would guess that your best guests will be people born in the 1940s or 50s. Maybe the house they raised their children in looked a lot like this and it will be a nostalgia trip for them.

The only thing I see that you must do right away is get a sealer on that deck before winter or you are going to lose it.

I wouldn’t even try to replace furniture unless it is broken. Buying new stuff is a bad idea, particularly if you accept children.

You can selectively add or replace things by shopping auctions and thrift stores.

I would capitalize on the nostalgic angle.

”This Old House…once filled with love and laughter, is looking for someone who will appreciate it again.

This Old House remembers when people fell in love to stay, when family bowed their heads to pray, and Daddies never went away.”

Shameless pandering, perhaps, but if it works it’s worth it.

You might also consider something like a crowdfunding campaign to pay off some debt and get through the winter. You could offer donors a discount coupon for future bookings.

Another hint: Don’t supply a lot of firewood. People will steal it. You can give them what you think they need and if they want more they should have to pay for it.

I like the this old house idea. I’m going to be editing the description.

The decks pretty sturdy but that’s on the to do list.

the wood stove is going to be coming out anyway.