Private rooms

Joyce477
Level 1
Greenwood, IN

Private rooms

Private rooms - I have two bedrooms in my home. I have just completely refurbished new floors ,new beds , paint all new bedding ext.  

I live in the home and my kids have grown and moved out so I decided to do them as rental. I work a lot so I’m rarely home come home go straight to my bedroom and stay there so they will have the whole entire house to use. I just posted it and I am getting request here is the issue I have one bathroom two sinks one shower tub that if it’s two separate guest they would need to share. I’m trying to think of a way too make the most on the two rooms financially , but also offer the guest as much privacy. I have someone interested in a six Week rental and I suggested to rent both rooms with a discount on the second room so they could pretty much have the house to themselves except for me ha ha. Any suggestions on the best way to market this.? Thank you in advance Joyce

1 Reply 1
Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Joyce477 :

I have a very bad feeling about what would happen if you rented the rooms to two unrelated couples.

It sounds like trouble even if they had separate bathrooms, but sharing a bathroom? OMG. 

I hope you have another bathroom for your exclusive use or things are REALLY going to be unpleasant.  You have a job? You can be sure that when you are trying to get ready for work someone else will find it necessary to spend a long time in the bathroom doing something unspeakable, and when they leave you won’t want to be next.

I could go into vivid detail based on my active imagination, but consider this: the Chinese pictograph meaning “trouble” is a house with two women in it. Clearly this is not an isolated phenomenon.

I would suggest that you completely isolate your personal space(s) and rent the other part of the house to one party at a time.

If that consists of two couples or two singles who want separate rooms it will cost them the local hotel price for a kitchenette suite plus an extra room: perhaps $150 plus $75 = $225.

If it’s just one couple, let them choose a bedroom, charge them $150, and lock the other one so they can’t invite overnight guests without paying extra.

In effect you are renting them an entire house and you need to make them pay for that. If they would rather go to a hotel you don’t want them unless you want to be used like a servant.

Two separate couples who book separately? Who will soon come to hate each other? Who will fight over the bathroom and everything else and expect you to referee?

I think I’m going to be ill. . .

I think you need to charge more and give less.