Recommendation supplies

Sabrina1048
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Recommendation supplies

Hi everyone!

I'm a new host, and I was wondering whats the rule of thumb for supplies.

My listing has been on the market for 4 days and I already have 2 guests who wants to stay for 14 days.

How many towels, linen and overall supplies should I give? 

I was thinking to go in a week and clean up again.... 

Any recommendations?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sabrina1048  I am also a home share host with a private room listing. I only host one guest at a time, and I give them 2 bath towels, a hand towel and a wash cloth for a week. 2 rolls of toilet paper. I offer clean linens after a week, but I adjust all that if a guest is staying, say 10 days, and will offer clean bedding and towels at the halfway mark, 5 days.

You could be more generous with towels and linen changes if you want, but that is what I started out with and it seems to be adequate- no guest has ever complained.

I do play it by ear, though. One guest got a stomach bug her 4th day and spent 24 hours in bed, sleeping and sweating and making frequent use of the bathroom. I offered her clean sheets the next day when she was up and about, because it's yucky to have to sleep on linens you've been laying around feeling ill on all day and night. (Also gave her another roll of toilet paper- figured she might have gone through a lot what with all the toilet flushing I heard 🙂

Because I'm right here, guests can always ask me if they need more and I'll usually ask them if they're okay for tp and towels. Some of my guests don't even accept the clean towels or linen change, saying they're fine. 

As far as cleaning, no, I don't do that during a guest stay. My max booking limit is 2 weeks. I do ask the guests if they want me to change the linens after a week or they would prefer to do it themselves, and they have always said they will do it. So either they don't want to make me extra work, or they prefer their privacy. 

There is a broom and dustpan in the guest ensuite bathroom and some cleaning supplies under their sink, so they can tidy up as they like.

If you want to make it part of your deal to do a light cleaning once a week, that's fine. Especially if you suspect the guest is living like a pig in there- you don't want food encrusted pizza boxes in there for 2 weeks, attracting rodents and ants. 

Your room listing looks quite nice, but you really  need to go back and edit your listing description- you have given really no information about the accommodation or the living situation at all, nor what parts of the house are available to guests aside from their room, whether they have kitchen use, who they are sharing the home with, nothing.

Go back and fill out all the fields provided- The Space (where you describe the room, its furnishings, common areas, kitchen use, etc.), Guest Access-  how they access the place (are there stairs, an elevator, is it on the ground floor, etc.)

and Other Things to Note (here you can speak to who the guests will be sharing the house with, if there are quiet hours, if the Wifi is strong and reliable, etc.)

Feel free to click on my profile here and see how I word my description. My offering is quite different from yours, but it will give you an idea of the kind of info that it's important to convey.  I have tweaked it over the years, and it has worked quite well to attract the kind of guests who are a good fit for me, my place, and my lifestyle, and who arrive with suitable expectations. Which are really important considerations in a home share. 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sabrina1048 for stays over a week we change the bed linen and towels but we don't clean. We try to encourage the guests to let us change the bedding so we can check the state of the place but are relaxed if they want to do it themselves (especially during Covid). Finally we give the guest the choice of changing the bedding when they are out or when they are there - Fifty/fifty on this so far which is unsurprising given I am not sure which I would prefer as a guest.

@Sabrina1048  Hi Sabrina i know it’s bit late but hope you are doing great in hosting in your place. 

there are some things that you want to consider when setting up you place: weather and time.

also if you have a minimum of nights as per us we have a minimum of 2 nights.  Take into consideration of the water usage and price also if you want put a sign recommending guest to be environmentally friendly that could help. 

Sheets should be changed once a week for long term guest.  As someone mentioned here in the comments we like to do it ourselves to make sure place is nice and tidy. 
Overall you want your place to be ready for the next guest so keep in mind the amount of supply you need to have on hand. 

Cheryl862
Level 2
Hagerstown, MD

We have booked two long term stays- one is a month and the other 4 months. We have a washer and dryer in the unit so the guest can wash their own bedding. What about things like toilet paper, paper towels, dish detergent?