Refrigerated Condiments

Kellie104
Level 4
Leslie, MI

Refrigerated Condiments

Hello,

We have our very first renters next weekend.  I am wondering if anybody here leaves opened refrigerated condiments in the fridge for the next guests to use of they wish? I had new ones that we've used at our cottage and was going to leave them for the guests. These are all squeeze bottles as well.  I figured each time husband and I clean I would wipe them down with a clorox cleanup wipe.  I also have those freezer pops in the fridge that they can eat to if they wish.

Your thoughts.  Big no? Gross? Yes clients like that?  Yes, if clients don't want to use they can push aside?

Thank your for your comments. 

14 Replies 14
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Kellie104 Personally, I prefer to leave the refrigerator completely cleaned out for the incoming guests. It's just too iffy for me, when it comes to things that need to be refrigerated, even squeeze type bottles. Who knows if they were left out on the counter for too long before being put back? 

@Kellie104  A lot of guests believe that if the fridge isn't empty, it wasn't cleaned. If you're unlucky enough to get some of these guests, it can impact your reviews/ratings. I wouldn't risk it with refrigerated condiments.

Shelf-stable items in the pantry are pretty universally appreciated, though: oil, vinegar, salt, spices, honey, and soy sauce.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

I agree with Colleen and Andrew; an empty clean refrigerator is preferred for a whole house listing.  You can leave unopened travel sized condiments on the pantry shelf for a guest to use and dispose of after their visit.

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

I leave condiments. Catsup, mustard, mayonnaise, butter, and Jam. I also leave eggs from my chickens. I have herbs and seasonings in the cabinet and flour, sugar, coffee, and tea on the counters. I am often thanked for having a fully stocked kitchen. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

We leave squeeze top condiments, and some sauces that you would only pour, soy and hot sauces. 

For a while we were asking guests if they wanted these and/or the spices removed and to have everything empty, but everyone we asked said to leave them.  

Kellie104
Level 4
Leslie, MI

@Jillian115 @Mark116 

Thank you.  I think I am going to keep them and see.  I also have baking supplies including chocolate chips, butter, shortening, and even oats.  I guess if anything they leave a review not liking the condiments and I pull them.

Thanks again.

@Jillian115  Your first few reviews can make or break your listing. So if you're unsure about something that could be a source of criticism, it's safer to ask the guest what they prefer before their stay than to wait for the review.

Whatever you decide to leave in the kitchen, be sure to inspect each item between guests for any sign of nastiness. Crumbs in the butter, moth larvae in the oats, or a fist print in the Crisco will override the goodwill earned by having a well-stocked kitchen.

🤣🤣 love the fist print in the crisco.  Never thought of that one before.

I do touch base with my clients often.  I had actually thought of asking them, but decided to ask here instead, but yes the bad review would suck for a first timer.

Sometimes I forget that not everybody isn't picky like my husband and I.  As I would just push them aside.

Thank you for your input.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Looks like you got responses that are all reflective of both sides of the issue.  The best advice was also already given and that is to be in communcation with your guests about their preferences.  Not only will you learn about that individual guest but over time, you will have a better picture of the guest that is a right fit for your listing.  Good luck and welcome!!

Kellie104
Level 4
Leslie, MI

@Linda108 @Anonymous 

Thank you both for your input.  Great advice for a first timer.  If I find that ppl don't want them the I will pry buy the restaurant type packets and leave out in a basket.

Sylvia664
Level 2
St. Petersburg, FL

I throw everything away.

Sam4395
Level 3
Lafayette, CO

I feel that it is best not to leave anything behind because it just creates too many "what ifs" and there are a variety of guests who will feel differently about the scenario. The only consumables that I will leave are included in welcome packs for longer bookings and simple offerings for every guest. The simple things i supply are fruits, coffee beans (i have a grinder), and snacks (i.e. chips, healthy bars). I like the idea of having popsicle though, I might incorporate this into my welcome baskets. 

If there is anything left behind I will ask my cleaners to handle it appropriately. Sealed goods can be taken home by the cleaners and opened products must be discarded. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We clean out everything, including the fridge, clean and sanitize everything. We never leave anything left over from the previous guest. 

After everything is cleaned, we place a standard set of newly purchased, sealed items, including milk, water (still and fuzzy), butter, jams, a bottle of local wine, a few beers, some cola, orange juice, and a loaf of bread in the fridge, with a note indicating it's all fresh and complementary.

Also leave out a few unrefrigerated snacky things like biscuits and crisps, tea, and something sweet to go with the supplied (capsule) coffee. Sealed. New. Always. 

Guests consistently seem to be impressed. For the 20€ or so, it's a good investment. 

Kellie104
Level 4
Leslie, MI

Thank you all for your comments.  Lots of great suggestions.  Thinking more about it I am going to buy condiment packets and then leave unopened and or fresh items for them like bread and fruit.  You all are great. Thanks.