Renting and hosting

Renting and hosting

I was advised to take a look at Aibnb.  Originally, I was considering renting out my large apartment in the normal manner.  For a short term lease at present, for a weekly rent.  We are going away for a short time, maybe a bit later for longer.

The biggest concerns always are a) whether the tenant pays the rent in full and on time b) and/or whether a tenant trashes the inside of the apartment while he/she lives there c) whether the tenant leaves the apartment when agreed. 

I have seen many television programs in which landlords have a combination of these problems.

We, the owners, will be visiting another country.  So not available to check this until we return. 

I know that in the event of problems like this, a legal resolution is long and expensive.  And often will not recover the cost of having a bad tenant.  

How does Airbnb resolve this problem?

1 Reply 1
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Dave1179 Airbnb doesn't solve any of the problems you describe. Indeed use of Airbnb for long term rentals can leave you in a worse position than normal as you have no security deposit or contract.

Use of Airbnb for short term rentals makes more sense but, in your case, you will need a very strong/reliable team of managers/cleaners as you are not there to help.