Request for 12 month booking

Lynette142
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Request for 12 month booking

I am a host in the U.K.  I have had a request from a guest from Spain to book our place for a year. I would value any guidance on how this can be done through the Airbnb platform and also any experiences hosts may have had. Thanks

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Lynette142 Don't do it! Airbnb is not suited in any way to tenancies. You will also need to comply with all the tenancy type stuff such as EPC's and electrical safety certificates. Finally if its a Furnished Holiday Let you will lose all the tax advantages this brings.

@Mike-And-Jane0 , I’m curious...what tax advantages do you get in the UK for Furnished Holiday Lets? There seem to be nothing but tax DISadvantages in the US states in which I host.

@Pat271 The big tax advantage is that mortgage interest is deductible on Furnished Holiday Lets when it is not on normal lettings. Also, if done properly, there is no Council Tax to pay on a FHL. There is a rule though that you have to achieve 105 ( I think) nights rented every year and be available foe 210. Also any stays over 28 days do not count to the 105.

Lynette142
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 thanks. That’s what my gut was telling me, that without even having considered the current tax advantages. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would never take such a long term tenant via Airbnb @Lynette142 

When do they want to start their stay. One option is to have them through Airbnb for a short stay and offer a regulated ASL tenancy fir the rest of the time once you have comply with ASL requirements, run a credit check, taken a deposit.

Don't do that before understanding how difficult  it is to evict tenants for non payment under Covid - can take up to a year 😢