Scam?

Hannah984
Level 1
Shelbyville, KY

Scam?

I received a request from a verified person for an extended amount of time.  When I asked what brought him to town he put the exact same thing as what his bio said which was that his company is starting a project and he is the project manager and he is coming in for it... Is this a scam? What would be the point if he is? Does it matter that he is verified by identity and email?

Hannah Hays
3 Replies 3
Andrea-and-Glenn0
Level 10
Mill Bay, Canada

Does he have reviews? Is it a new account?

Its pretty easy to open an Airbnb account as a guest.

@Hannah984  It's easy to "verify" an account with a fake or stolen ID - it adds a bit of friction for scammers but certainly doesn't prevent them.

I recommend changing your calendar settings and setting a much lower maximum length of stay (say, 2 weeks). You need to build up some reviews fast to get your listing off the ground, and these "extended stay" bookings risk turning into squatter situations. Airbnb only collects the first month upfront, with no deposit, and if the guest refuses to pay beyond that, you're stuck with what could be a long and costly eviction process and risk your home being destroyed.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

Hi @Hannah984 

First, your space is beautiful. And, since it accommodates up to 7 guests, I would be wary of 1 person who says he’s coming into town for work. I would wonder why he is not looking for a smaller space. My inclination would be to decline the request.