Scams

Answered!
Steve3491
Level 2
Torrance, CA

Scams

Hello,

We're new to Airbnb and just wanted to reach out and see if there are any scams we should be on the lookout for? Are there certain tell tale signs of any scams that have been circulating? Just looking for some added help for protecting ourselves and our property. 

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide.

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Steve3491 

Expierenced hosts easly recognize when something is not OK.

IMO  a starting host should pay attention to:

- Do not use Instant Book

- Limit stays tot 27 nights (no "long term stays")

- Do not accept local guests

- Do not accept guest without ID verified.

- Ask proper questions before accepting a booking requests

Trust your gut-feeling, if in doubt better decline guest.

Hope this helps

@Emiel1 

Thank you so much for the advice. I'm glad I kind of already went along those lines. I had instant book turned off, kept the max days at 14 and definitely want ID verified. Hopefully my instincts keep me on my toes. Thanks again!

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

Dont get too paranoid, This business is about getting bodies in beds,

Dont do business off Airbnb stick to the platform, possible scam,

We have had Instant Booking turned on since day one, personally I dont see the problem,

Dont respond to Whats app numbers in their first message,

We never do self check in, thats where many problems come from, like book for 4 and 9 turn up,

Dont make it difficult for people to book,

We dont accept 1 night bookings, this is a party island we know whats going to happen.

Make sure you sit down on a computer and go through the web site and see how it works, Sorry most people dont, Then wonder why they get problems

@Sudsrung0 Thank you for the help and info. I will definitely take your advice and also educate myself through the site. Good point on the one night booking ban. I've adjusted it to 3 but may change it to 2 just so weekend travelers can enjoy. Thanks again!

It's funny I mentioned that, only last night a guy asked me to change to one night so he could book, Boxing Day as well, not happening.

I have it set to 2 nights, Max 30 days,

There is lots of video's on You tube could be useful 

@Sudsrung0  I maxed my total stay to 14 days. I get concerned with people establishing it as their residence once they get to that 30 day mark. I believe they turn into tenants after 30 days.   California has made it very difficult to evict tenants so I try to keep it at 14.

I just changed your title, what do you think?

Beautiful South Bay Beaches are just minutes away.

@Sudsrung0 Ha... You're right! Just changed it. Thank you

Looks better good luck