Sending Pictures in inquiry

Esperanza104
Level 2
Vancouver, WA

Sending Pictures in inquiry

Newbie here. Thank you in advance.

My first potential guest is asking for pictures of the outside of the home in the inquiry thread. Question is if it is safe to post pictures of the front of the home? And is there a way to send photos via that thread? 

24 Replies 24
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Esperanza104 

You can send photos via that thread only after booking is confirmed.

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Esperanza104 A question like that is a rather large red flag. I would not even converse with that person further, never mind encourage them to book. 

Hi @Esperanza104 

@Inna22 @Fiona256  Thats is so true.

‘I post a picture of the front of my house. Most of the time I want to see the outside of the home I am renting for one reason or another.”

Simply red flag a guest for a simple question is a bad and wrong behavior.

A large red flag to a guest inquire about the outside home picture, is a ‘ hate’.

Don't live your life with anger and hate in your heart.

‘That’s Witchescrafts’                                                 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Esperanza104  I agree with Colleen, I wouldn't accept this inquiry. There is no reason for a guest to need to see a street view of the front of the house. And it's a security risk for you.

They are either A. Targetting it for a robbery, B. Will come by trying to get you to make a private deal with them, C. Want to steal your photos to post elsewhere, as if it is their listing, to scam unsuspecting guests, D. Want to check it out to see if there are close neighbors that would report them for throwing a party.

Just message back saying you do not provide photos of the front of the house. I assume you post photos of the backyard areas or patios that guests would have access to.

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

As both Sarah and Colleen said I would be very hesitant about providing outside photos of the home. I would also advise against ever providing photos that display your address, as this can be a security risk.

I did go and take a peek at your listing just to get an idea what photos you had, and although you list a whole home, there are really no pictures of outside areas such as a patio or yard. If these are not things offered with the home then obviously pictures are not warranted but if it is, I would suggest adding a photo or two that highlights these outdoor areas. 

As for what this particular guest is "looking for" in additional photos, I am not sure.  If they are a well reviewed guest, I might send them a message along the lines of, "Thank you for your inquiry, due to safety concerns I am not quite comfortable sending additional photos of the homes exterior, however I would be happy to answer any questions or provide information on the area if you would kindly let me know what questions you might have." If they are brand new with no reviews, I would just avoid the red flags and move on. 

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

I think every listing should provide photos of the exterior. I would not ever book a place without seeing the outside. I would suspect that there was something to hide if I couldn't see the exterior and the surroundings. I find it incredible that hosts would be reluctant to show the outside of their properties and the area around it. How sad that people live in places where they are so paranouid that they would not dare show their home. If that's the situation,  then it's not a place to promote to guests.

@Fiona256  It's not paranoid. Paranoia is something that has no basis in reality.  There are many possible security issues for hosts in making their listing identifiable from the street. And it  has nothing to do with the area being in any way dangerous. As mentioned above, some people will just show up at the house without having booked, trying to get the host to book privately. 

As a single woman, there's no way I want my home, where I live, publicly identifiable online to millions of people.

Hi @Fiona256,

You are right!

I agree with you.

The host does not need to post the exact front home photos for  privacy and safety reasons.

Nevertheless, the accommodation home surrounding photos, street view photos are essential information for the guest.

Besides, a million people will look for your home unless you are a celebrity or idols.

Both of your listings are stunning!

Lovely cottage with a fantastic view

The heart-taking riverside home.

If I were your guest, I will rather not sleep in the bedroom. I will sleep on the floor and look out by the window all night long.

Happy Hosting!Happy Hosting!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

It's not paranoia- @Fiona256 - whole listings have been targeted for break in and guests who want to party do use them to identify properties where it's easier to do so.

just because you live in a quieter location where someone wouldn't be likely to do this - doesn't mean others hosts not displaying the front of their homes fir good reason are paranoid 😢😢😢😢

Hi @Fiona256,

Perhaps, they are paranoia caused by genes, chemicals in the brain, or a stressful or traumatic life event. It's likely a combination of factors is responsible.

It makes sense.

Fiona256
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

In the good old days before our puppet-masters invented Airbnb, before they were even born, B&Bs worked very differently, with a sign outside the house saying B&B. It was normal and expected for people to turn up unexpectedly and ask if a room was available.

I've even had people walk into my house asking if they could stay. I don't do B&B, having been brought up in the 12-bed guest house my father built and not appreciating all these strangers sharing my home. My guests have a lovely cottage by the sea-shore at the bottom of my garden. And I welcome direct bookings. It's how I have operated for 20 years.

It didn't bother me when  people walked in saying flattering things about my home. We don't lock our doors where I live. We don't need to.

Different ways for different folks and different countries, I suppose.

But I have always felt it's almost dishonest not to show the exterior of a house which you are inviting people to come and stay in. As I said earlier, I would not book to stay somewhere if the exterior and locality was not made clear.

@Fiona256  The thing is, these aren't the old days anymore. Someone showing up at the door of a traditional B&B is completely different from millions of random online strangers having access to photos of the front of a private home.

I can't imagine why I would need to see a photo of the front of the house to feel comfortable about booking a place. The reviews and communication with the host would tell me all I needed to know.

@Sarah977 @Jennifer1897. @Colleen253 @Ricardo85 @Fiona256. Valid points. Thank you for your feedback and assistance. I have updated some pictures and posted some of the exterior of the home. I hope to improve the look of it to make it more inviting. I was concentrating on the inside. Its been quite the undertaking doing most of the work myself 🙂 

@Fiona256 @Your home sounds lovely. Thank you for your help and feedback