Taxes

Joni113
Level 2
Lincoln, NE

Taxes

Hello,

I am new to hosting and I just realized that I did not list taxes (Sales/Use and Occupancy, heck there might be others) on my listing.  I live in Lincoln, NE. I have ready articles telling me how to add the taxes but the option is not there for my listing. Am I doing something wrong? Is this already being done for me?

Taxes scare me so I want to make sure I am doing this correctly.

How does this affect already made reservations also?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

9 Replies 9
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Joni113   On a computer, log into AirBnB as a host and go to your listing.  Go to the Pricing and Availability section, and then click on Taxes.  Click on the Edit link to the right of the Taxes entry.

IF AirBnB IS charging, collecting and remitting taxes for your jurisdiction, it will be listed here.  

IF AirBnB is NOT collecting taxes for your location, you will have to enter the tax percentages you need to collect and report.  If you do not know what they are, you should be able to locate that information on your state government pages, or you should make an appointment with a tax professional.

Air Taxs Screenshot 2022-03-26 094819.jpg

That is the thing I do not even have a "Taxes" section when I go into my listing and then Pricing and Availability.  I saw some place that it should be right after the "Additional Charges" section but I have nothing.

I am nervous that I should be charging as I have to pay taxes back to the state every quarter here in NE and I have looked at other listing in my city and they some how have taxes listed. Should I call Airbnb?

Are you sure that you just don't live in a area "jurisdiction" that AirBnB automatically remits your local taxes (TOT/City) taxes back to the jurisdiction for you automatically and you are not seeing it? First thing you might do is google search what if any local taxes (city/tourism/etc.) you city or state has for short-term vacation rentals? You'll most likely find a city website that give your the ordinance with the tax percentages listed. This was you can contact the resolution center and have help you input tax percentages if it hasn't been done automatically for you. 

The property is in Lincoln, NE, so I would fall into the top portion of this link.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2625/occupancy-tax-collection-and-remittance-by-airbnb-in-nebras...

Also, when I entered in my tax information under my account I put in a business FEIN, as we have an LLC and the money from each booking goes into that bank account not my personal. So when I did the setup I did not do a W-9 I keyed in the FEIN. Would that have something to do with it?

I looked at my listing on my iPad, and the taxes section is missing.  If I use my computer and log into Airbnb through a browser, not an app, I am able to see the taxes section.  My taxes are paid by Airbnb, but there is still the ability to see the tax section and the additional tax section via a browser on a computer.

That is weird :).

So I ended up talking to another local host and we shared our screens. He is able to see the tax area on his side for his listing and could see that I was not able to see mine for my property.

We have come to the conclusion, that because the area my property is located is brand new, as in the house was just built, we think maybe Airbnb has not updated the jurisdiction the house is in just yet. I do, however, need to be charging taxes. I ended up getting the correct calculations from the state/city office, here in Lincoln, and I had to put them under the management fees section. It looks funny on the listing but its the best I can do right now.

If someone booking should ask I can explain it then.

Thank you for continued feedback on this.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Joni113 

You need to activate "professional tools" in your account

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/2523/how-to-add-taxes-to-listings

THANK YOU for this!  I have had numerous conversations with AirBNB support and no one ever mentioned this setting!  They just told me I need to build it into my price per night!

Joni113
Level 2
Lincoln, NE

It already is. I even called Airbnb last night.