Unsure about feedback for guest who left the door open

Answered!
Adriana1182
Level 2
Cluj-Napoca, Romania

Unsure about feedback for guest who left the door open

Hello to all you great hosts out there,

I started my Airbnb experience as a host this year and I hope to become a Superhost soon. At the moment I am having troubles giving the feedback to my latest guest, so here I am asking you for help please.

The guest and his group made a last minute inquiry for a one night accommodation. I accepted it and replied, even wrote some words in their native language. The guest has four 5* reviews so far. Form our first conversations, I observed that he doesn't really understand everything in English.

I wrote them all the instructions, I have an online and a printed guide book, I left them a welcome basket and I checked if they were ok; the reply was, that everything is perfect. 

They checked out at noon and wrote me a message at 2 PM stating this and just thanks and no issues mentioned. As I went to the apartment in the evening, I found the entrance door open (not locked) and the lights were on in the living room. 
Otherwise, the keys were in the mail box like I had instructed and the apartment was clean. I was in shock, but I was lucky that nothing bad happened in all these hours the apartment was open.

The guest left me a review meanwhile. I wrote him a mail to thank him firstly for leaving the apartment so clean and I gave him the opportunity to explain, why they left the door open and the lights on. He answered in a rather irritated manner, that the door is damaged and they slept with the door open and they left thinking that they closed the door (this is what I understood from his message). 

It is unacceptable for me that my apartment was left open without informing about any issues. On the other hand, I am thinking about the language barrier, I see that he had good intentions and I don't want to ruin his 5* strike. And I want to warn potential hosts about this. 

How would you handle the situation? There is also the option of not writing a feedback. Please help me sort this out. Thank you all for your time and I wish you a great day,
Adriana 

1 Best Answer
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Adriana1182  is your door damaged? Or did the guest just have an issue with the lock? Some of them do.  If the door is not broken say:

"Guest was pleasant and left my space clean. There were some issues with the apartment being left unsecured and communication had some barriers. Overall a very good guest."

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Adriana1182 I wouldn't over think it. Just say they were great guests who left the place tidy but didn't close the door when they left. 3 stars??

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

I wish all our guest issues were like this. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Adriana1182  is your door damaged? Or did the guest just have an issue with the lock? Some of them do.  If the door is not broken say:

"Guest was pleasant and left my space clean. There were some issues with the apartment being left unsecured and communication had some barriers. Overall a very good guest."

@Adriana1182 I agree with the wording @Laura2592 has suggested. And even IF the door was damaged (is that true?) , they did not take the trouble to let you know they couldn’t lock it. They just LEFT. Unacceptable, language barrier or not. 

@Laura2592 Thank you so much, this is phrased beautifully!